Server Crash

Well basicly what happends is after 1:30-2h of uptime the server crashes.
I was able to see the error a few times it was something saying Segmentation fault (core dumped).
Its really getting annoying and its killing my server… I’ve been trying to fix this for the pass two weeks.
I really got no clue why this happends… Also I did a little google search on the problem of course and i found this
irc chat with garry saying it was just missing a few files or something similar so i followed the instructions and it did not fix my problem.
I’m running Ubuntu 13.10 x64, I really need help with this, if you know what the problem is contact me on steam or reply here.

Welcome to Facepunch! We need more information.

Game-mode? Any errors before crash? Etc etc etc…

Chances are you’ve got a loop running, and it’s eating away at memory until it finally crashes.

Sorry for the lack of information, as you can see im still adapting to the forum :P.

Gamemode: Sandbox

There is no errors in my console besides the “Segmentation fault (core dumped)” error. 2GB Ram | 20GB SSD | Ubuntu | 13.10 x64

its 32 slots but it crashes even when theres 5 players on…

Garry’s Mod is a 32 bit process, so it can use up to 4gb. I’d recommend having 4gb installed, because your OS uses memory, and all the other things.

Post your dump files, they may contain relevant information. So it’s an un-edited Sandbox game-mode? No addons running in the background either? Pure Vanilla?

You may need to post the issue here: https://github.com/Facepunch/garrysmod-issues/issues with all of the dump files so garry can fix it.

The sandbox is edited i’ve got a few addons, although lately i’ve been monitonring my server closely. The only lua errors i’ve got was wire mod.

these are the only that have come up…

1.-

1. Reload - addons/wiremod/lua/weapons/gmod_tool/stools/wire_adv.lua:553
   2. unknown - gamemodes/sandbox/entities/weapons/gmod_tool/shared.lua:144

2- 

DataTable warning: player: Out-of-range value (358.156555) in SendPropFloat 'm_angEyeAngles[0]', clamping. (PROBABLY THE MAP - gm_bigcity)

I cant find the dumped core error tho it dosent show in the logs… I’ll upload the dumps tho and make sure garry gets them if this dosent lead you on…

I remember some maps had issues crashing back in the day when users went to a certain area of the map. GM_BIGCITY is a HUGE map and requires a decent chunk of memory to run. You may be getting memory leaks, which might cause it to crash.

Can you list all of your addons?

Try adding the following to your launch options: “-tickrate 33 +r_hunkalloclightmaps 0” without the ""s and see if that makes a difference.

Alright i’ll try those launch options here are my addons.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21554498/addons.png

Kind of messy in there atm maybe one or two im not using.

This is my command line i use to start the server btw. I added the launch option to it already, it was -tickrate 66 before

screen -A -m -d -S srcds ./srcds_run -game garrysmod +maxplayers 32 +map gm_bigcity +gamemode sandbox -tickrate 33 +r_hunkalloclightmaps 0 -debug -verify_all

Try removing legs; if it’s the version I’m thinking of it’s not really optimized although it should only cause the client to crash…

Look through each of the SERVER lua files and see if there are any loops creating things and not releasing them.

I’ve never had someone report that the legs caused an error.
Most players report the errors straight away. Also id like to point out that only errors I’ve gotten in the logs are listed above. Every other error was fixed.

EDIT:
I was having this problem with the adv dupe before when people would spawn a dupe and unfreeze the props the server would crash… Maybe my problem is the server I have ?

It could be; but one thing to check would be to remove half of the addons. If you have a crash, then add the other half of the addons. If you don’t crash, add half of the original list of half of the addons. If you crash, remove that quarter of total addons, then add the other quarter from the original half you tried. If you don’t crash, start adding one addon at a time from the problem group until you locate the bad addon.

Post the name of it and give us the code so we can see what may be causing it.

Out of 20 addons; test 1-10 first. Crash then use 11-20. No crash, use 11-20 + 1-5. Crash, use 11-20 + 6-10. No crash, add 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 individually, or half it again.

Ok thanks alot for the help!

So basicly i found the problem… DONT USE AN APTITUDE BASED OS… In other words do not use Ubuntu for Garrysmod dedicated Server…