Server - Ressource & Capacity

Hi !

I am the owner of a video game host. And I was wondering what would be the resource consumption (RAM, CPU (1 CORE ?), STORAGE) of a server & what would be the theoretical maximum capacity of players per server.
I plan to create a pterodactyl EGG like garry’s mod.

Thank you !
Lucas

1 Like

Server wise, unless the difference with the physics engine is huge it shouldn’t be more resource intensive than Gmod already is, it depends on what kind of content you are hosting.
I remember one of the promises was having thousands of players, but I’m not sure if it’s going to be the same with Source 2 as we know the maximum players is 255, still depends on the performance of your server and I doubt any server will reach 255 without problems.

???
EDIT: I guess Pterodactly Egg is something real, I hate Computer Science graduates and their shitty humor

2 Likes

I really doubt source2/sandbox will just magically fix the performance problems that exist in current gmod.
And i personally think 1 core wont be enough; Think about async file IO and other stuff.

Storage size depends heavily on the addons that run on a server;
just think about a sledbuild server with like ULX vs. a darkrp server with printers, cars, guns etc

1 Like

About the Pterodactyl egg, I believe that would be simple to create.
I am guessing it will be installed via SteamCMD and it will run the same way as current GMod does on Pterodactyl.

1 Like

it may be even possible to use the garrysmod egg and just update the startup arguments and game id

1 Like

That is quite possible, yeah. I mean I believe there won’t be much difference in the server side.

1 Like

Considering all server hosts for games like this overload resources (and up-charge for exclusivity of resources) anyway it shouldn’t be a problem to continue on as usual.

2 Likes