Simple board game idea with colors

Hello.

I was just pondering what to program next, and want to present an idea.

Suppose you had a big room in your level, with a regular grid pattern of floor tiles. One tile in one corner is lit up in red, and another tile in an opposing corner is lit up in blue.
Players decide for themselves if they want to be on the blue or on the red team.

The goal of the game would be to fill the whole board with tiles of your color. When a color achieved that goal, there would be an indication of the game being concluded.

Now, to advance your own faction in this game, you would have to step on a tile that’s already of your team color, and then walk onto a tile directly adjacent to it, possibly overwriting the other team’s color. And there could be a cooldown period of a few seconds where the used and the newly colored tile can’t be used for a new move like that. And to prevent accidental moves, there could be a warmup period, so one would have to trigger a tile for a second before it could color a neighboring tile.

What do you think? I think it might be possible to implement this kind of game with the logic entities Source offers.
If I could produce a small sample field, I could teach my level generator how to output this kind of thing.

-S

*edit
Discussion with friends:

• board size to count of available players ratio
  • players could be given weapons to kill each other, or they could merely stun each other
  • respawn delays for dead players and the overall deadliness could determine the pace of the game
  • sounds a bit like Splatoon

Hmmm, I have no idea how someone would implement this, but here is my idea. You could kinda follow the same structure that TTT does, with two teams supported by the counter_terrorist and terrorist spawning points. You could rework the team assets to be red and blue team.

Mind you, I have no idea if this would work, just giving you my two cents.