Smak

Looks interesting, kinda like CrazyBump but for AO. And only 15 bucks if you purchase during beta.

http://matreyastudios.com/smak/

that’s awesome

xNormal does the same thing and you can get AO maps with the built-in renderers for model programs, so why shell out $15 for this?

I thought every serious modelling program could do it…

yeah it’s still not able to do what crazybump is - make good normal maps from a given diffuse texture with no mesh.

Hi, I’m the author of SMAK. I wrote SMAK because I couldn’t find any other utility out there with the appropriate combination of simple, fast, and cheap. xNormal for example requires a hi res mesh to generate an AO, and SMAK is a lot prettier than xNormal is. Blender’s process is not straightforward and takes a long time to produce generally ugly meshes (and SMAK is prettier.) Meshlab produces ugly AO’s. Max Maya and XSI will make decent AO’s but the process of making them is difficult and the process of baking them to a UV is even more difficult, and those tools are very expensive.

SMAK also has a number of generation options that are unique to it (creasing, ground occlusion) and it has a batch processing method so that a large number of models can be scripted and automated.

If that’s worth $15 to you then great.

This is actually going to be SMAK’s next feature.

I didn’t mean it WAS CrazyBump, that’s why I said for AO.

[editline]03:50AM[/editline]

But I guess it’ll be doing Normals after all, heh.

How would this work on an organic model or clothing?

No, it doesn’t “require” a hi-res mesh. It can create a quick AO map from a lo-res mesh two different ways: the simple AO generator tool and baking from the lo-res model onto itself.

Interesting program. I dont know if the orange box engine version of garrys mod supports AO maps. So far I know the engine that l4d2 uses, supports AO maps. Oh yea, and with 3dsmax you can bake some pretty AO maps too, when you got the correct settings.

You can bake AO maps into your texture with 3ds max, just bake it with a white background and set the layer its on to multiply in photoshop.

I think there was an easier way if I can remember correctly. Which was just… bake occlusion map. In the uvmap editor. I might be wrong though, haven’t used max in ages!

Is this any different than rendering to texture with 3DS Max?