SMD Importer/Exporter how+where

I couldn’t be the first person to post this… could I? I am having difficulty finding an .smd Importer AND Exporter for 3Ds Max 2012. I find .dle and .dli files, but I don’t know how to use those! I have an md5 importer/exporter in one, it pops up as soon as I start 3Ds max. That one is a .ms file. I would like to know where I could get an smd importer/exporter .ms file! Otherwise, how do dli and dle files work, and how do I use them to import/export my smd files?

[editline]5th April 2013[/editline]

I mean, really… I’ve been searching and searching and all I can find are .dle and .dli files.

[editline]5th April 2013[/editline]

And you should know I have no official, state-recognized training involving 3Ds Max… I don’t know a thing about dle or dli files, all I know is that .ms files will work perfectly fine.

Just google this - “3ds max dli”
…no “training” necessary, just 5 min online.

… really? That doesn’t help me…
No results found for “3ds max dli”.

I guess you’re beyond help than

How is that supposed to help me? I found that without quotes, but it doesn’t help… it tells me how to install it, not what it does!
How about this? You stop being assholes and find me an easy-to-use max script version or tell me how a lazy man could find it while still being lazy?

And this comment isn’t trolling/flaming, it’s me expressing how unhelpful you people are being… (I’m only saying this because of my use of language)

It’s not a script, it’s an importer plugin, it says so on the goddamn page.

After installation, you’ll be able to find an option to import .SMD files like you would another non-native format. If you know how to import a .OBJ file into 3DS Max, it’s pretty much the exact same process.

No shit. I want it as a max script! I have an md5 model importer/exporter combined max script, and it works! I want the same for SMD.

Is that true?

I’ll assume You’re interested in clean “one button” smd import/export, and are to thick to do any reading/searching on your own.
here is one set of tool’s for example: http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/cftools.htm
Instal instructions are in ReadMe file.

And it’s not a maxscript that you run by “run script” - it imports file from file/import menu where you can choose all your import formats 3ds, obj, fbx… down to - smd after installation of that plugin.

Another thing: it hardly matters what You want, but what is available and learning how to use it.

Okay, all I needed to know was how to use it. If it adds it as an option in the default dialouges, then great! And it’s not that I’m too “thick,” I’m just too lazy.

you’ve said it…
and starting a thread in forum is not a alternative form of web searching.

Duh… I did it because I was getting tired of searching the web and not finding the answer I was looking for… I’m not going to make a thread without trying first myself (some exceptions may apply, not that I can think of right now…)

You will find all your answers there.

No. You’re not giving me a worm. I still need to test to see if they add the functionality to the default dialogues.

[editline]6th April 2013[/editline]

Okay, I installed 64 bit and 32 bit in there cus I’m not sure which I installed. Its in the regular program files folder, not x86, and I have a 64 bit pc… the problem is the damned thing just doesn’t load up, it prints errors and never gives me the main window I need… and the thing is I have to plugin folders, named plugins and plug-ins. Which should I use? How do I do a spoiler tag again to hide something? Nevermind, everything works fine. Thank you all, and to all a good night.

Your loss. I’ve spent a large part of the last three years building that toolset for Source asset creation and level design inside Max. If you plan on moving forward in Max (2013+) you’re only choice will be Wall Worm unless Cannonfodder or Wunderboy decide to recompile their plugins for the newer versions… whereas Wall Worm works in 2013 and should work the day 2014 is released.

If you did try to install Wall Worm into the plugins folder, that is the incorrect spot. It goes into the Scripts folder. I suggest reading the README.txt file that comes with the download.

[EDIT] After this post, an issue with 2014 was reported. I’ve fixed that and there is a new update that may work in 2014. Since I don’t have 2014 yet, I cannot say if it fixes all problems.

Uhm… I got the damned thing working -_- and Cannonfodder’s shit doesn’t work for me, I’ve tried everything he offers.

It keeps telling me it can’t open the .QC, which is here:
Without collision model or a surface prop…

$modelname "weapons\v_HeliGun.mdl"
$scale 1.0
$staticprop
$cdmaterials "models\heligun"

$body "Body" "E:\steam\steamapps\gordonfuxalyx\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\heligun\HeliGunReference.SMD"

$sequence "idle" "E:\steam\steamapps\gordonfuxalyx\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\heligun\idle1.SMD" fps 20 ACT_IDLE 1
$sequence "shoot" "E:\steam\steamapps\gordonfuxalyx\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\heligun\fire.SMD" fps 42 ACT_PRIMARYATTACK 1
$sequence "chargedshoot" "E:\steam\steamapps\gordonfuxalyx\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\heligun\fire2.SMD" fps 28 ACT_SECONDARYATTACK 1
$sequence "empty" "E:\steam\steamapps\gordonfuxalyx\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\heligun\dryfire.SMD" fps 30 ACT_DRYFIRE 1
$sequence "draw" "E:\steam\steamapps\gordonfuxalyx\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\heligun\draw.SMD" fps 20 ACT_DRAW 1
$sequence "lower" "E:\steam\steamapps\gordonfuxalyx\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\heligun\lower.SMD" fps 30 ACT_LOWER 1
$sequence "lowered" "E:\steam\steamapps\gordonfuxalyx\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\heligun\lowered.SMD" fps 15 ACT_LOWERIDLE 1
$sequence "tocombat" "E:\steam\steamapps\gordonfuxalyx\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\heligun	ocombat.SMD" fps 15 ACT_RAISE 1
$sequence "recharge" "E:\steam\steamapps\gordonfuxalyx\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\heligun\recharge.SMD" fps 60 ACT_RECHARGE 1

$attachment "muzzle" "HeliMuzzle" 0.00 0.00 0.00 rotate 0 0 0
$attachment "1" "ValveBiped.eject" 0.00 0.00 0.00 rotate 0 0 0

Why is it it “can’t open” that file?

Hello? No one is gonna help me with it saying it’s failing to load THAT QC FILE?

3DS Max can’t open .qc files, the last I remember being told. It can only import and export the .SMD files. The .qc itself needs to be opened with another program (such as Notepad).

This isn’t entirely true. The Wall Worm SMD Importer will actually import a QC. It imports a lot of the settings, including the mesh, hull, lods and various settings.

I dont know why anyone would want to help this ungrateful idiot. Its obvious that he cant listen to a word anyone is saying, and takes what people do with a grain of salt.