Smoothing Groups and Collision and Truncating Models

I get 3 warnings when compiling a model I ported from a different game:
WARNING: Bad collision model. check you smoothing groups!!!
WARNING: Truncating model!!!
WARNING: Eef.smd has bad smoothing groups

The model is then compiled, but is transparent and is not very smooth lol. I exported it to a smd using Autodesk 3ds max. I don’t have any experience with modeling, so bear with me if you will.

P.S.
Sorry for so many topics over the past 2 days, first time porting!

Might be the 3dmax exporter acting up again, but no-one else got an error about it… interesting.

I suspect the transparency has nothing to do with this however, have you made your textures into VTF files with VMT files to reference them? If so check the first line of your VMTs and change “LightmappedGeneric” to “VertexlitGeneric”.

I did as you said in your last post. Thank you very much btw! I would have thanked you in the last topic, but i didn’t want to bump it :stuck_out_tongue: I am now at least able to see my model :stuck_out_tongue:

I was able to fix the transperency in the model, the vmt’s had $translucent set to 1. But it seems very “blocky” if that makes sense, much different than in my original game’s model viewer when it comes to smoothness.

np :slight_smile:

Yea the blockyness will be the 3dmax exporter loosing the smoothing groups, your using 3dmax 2010 right? (or whatever the newest one is called)

Yes, 2010. So is there anyway to rid of the “blockyness”?

Not that I know of :frowning: Other than using an earlier version of 3dmax (as the scripts are only propperly supported upto 3dmax9 I think).

–edit–
nvm, 3dmax9 is different from 2010 >:O
I will get back to you when i run into another problem! :stuck_out_tongue:

[editline]07:24PM[/editline]

Ok, Still same problem when I export and compile with 3dmax9

–edit–
however, i was able to get rid of the warnings by adding $staticprop to my qc file.

The model should work fine you don’t really have to mind warnings. I usually got those when i didn’t make a collision model.

Yea unless it wont actually let you compile it, warnings aren’t particuarily an issue and you should only use $staticprop for map models that you don’t want to move, nothing else needs it.

Also is the model smooth in 3ds max before you export it?

Yes, it looked great in the 2010 version. But I don’t remember what it looked like in 9.