So I have to wait for S&box to come out to start using Hammer 2 or Im forced to buy HL Alyx?

For the developers that don’t have a key but want to get a head start on mapping, Is my only option to buy HL:Alyx? I’m sure s&box will come with the same hammer tools but is there really no other way?

Is Dota’s one good enough for me to just convert over when i finally get s&box?

1 Like

Install SteamVR, it is good and takes up less space AFAIK

2 Likes

There is also the one for Dota 2. I think it should have almost all the same features (having also switched to Source 2), however you will have to stick to making maps for Dota 2 so don’t try to load maps from other games like Half-Life Alyx.

1 Like

How hard would it be to transfer the custom maps i make in the Dota 2 version of hammer to S&box?

1 Like

Honestly I don’t know, if an experienced mapper comes here, he can probably answer you. Otherwise try asking on Discord.

2 Likes

Yes I also heard steamvr works without having to use a vr goggle.
Might be an option, which is closer to the real hammer editor too.

1 Like

HLA’s hammer work just fine if you don’t have vr, SteamVR require an external tool to work correctly on pc, this: GitHub - Plaonder/SteamVRWorkshop-NonVR: Starting SteamVR Workshop Tools without VR enabled

Also if i’m correct, HLA’s hammer is the most up to date
But really it shouldn’t affect your work too much, what you really get if you use HLA instead of SteamVR is more assets since you can use HLA’s assets, but in another way you will have to port them to S&Box once you get your hands on it.
And there’s still the workshop for both, HLA and SteamVR.

In conclusion, HLA just give you more elements to work with quicker, but at a price. At the end of the day, if you are looking to learn mapping correctly from A to Z, then starting with SteamVR will definitly not put you back, you’ll just have to find textures and props on the internet.
Just avoid dota2 hammer tho.

Also, check thoses videos out to help you learn, even if your from s1 hammer, you’ll need thoses: Source 2 101 - Hammer Crash Course #1 : Good workflow habits - YouTube

3 Likes

Thanks for the help man great response! I think I’ll go with steamVR, appreciate the videos! <3
:cake:

1 Like