So many questions? Halp?

Maybe some of you moar experienced mappers can lend me a tip or so. I have trouble with hammer editor, alot, like some others do. And constantly destroy maps I’ve worked on for several hours. I have googled these, but I havn’t really had any promising results if any at all. So thanks for whoever decides to answer

So heres it layed out. It’d help alot if you guys could answer as many as possible.

Is it bad to hollow a box, then use it for your map, as a skybox (tools/skybox)?

**Can you go wrong if you copy your .VMF file somewhere on your pc?**

The best website to learn about entities?

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4194/lolvlm.jpg

Is it bad if you turn displacments, by X raw (sideways from top camera)?

Shortcut to find exact coordinates?

Is it bad if your skybox touches brushes or displacments?

Shortcut to find exact entity?

http://s3.garrysmod.org/img/dl/120788_2.jpg

Thanks whoever answers any of these. And yes I googled.

First of all, if you had actually Googled these questions properly you would have found your answers. Anyway, I will answer what I can.

Is it bad to hollow a box, then use it for your map, as a skybox (tools/skybox)?
Yes.

Can you go wrong if you copy your .VMF file somewhere on your pc?
Not that I know of.

The best website to learn about entities?

I think thats OK to do. I’ve done it in the past with no problems.

Shortcut to find exact coordinates?

Is it bad if your skybox touches brushes or displacments?
No, you need to do this so you don’t get leaks. Putting a skybox “box” around your entire map is BAD mapping.

I can’t remember that one off the top of my head.

Finally, any further question similar to these can be answered here:

Wow had no idea. I always thought that was what caused leaks. But yes. Thanks alot for taking the time to help.

To elaborate:

Can you go wrong if you copy your .VMF file somewhere on your pc?
It’s as safe as to copy a word document somewhere else.

You can create a displacement on any axis and rotate it to your hearts desire. Just try to keep it to a 90 degree rotate so you stay on grid. Or use the vertex tool to get it on grid.

Don’t think there is a shortcut, but Map -> Entity report
then you can filter by class, property etc.

Next time you have a question
post here: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/770351-The-Mappers-Encyclopedia-Section-Rules-Question-Megathread-(Read-Before-Posting)
or: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1089229-Mapping-Question-Megathread-V2

They both get the same amount of love and question answering.

Displacements can’t seal a map, it doesn’t matter if they touch the skybox or not (however, if one is completely outside it wont get rendered). To seal a map, it must be completely surrounded by brushes (not brush entities).

To find exact co-ordinates, go to view, go to co-ordinates (type in thier example for a joke).

To find a set entity, go to map, entity report, select the entitys name, use up and down till you recognise it (theres not really a better way)

Also, to find a brush number, its the go to specific bruch in the view menu.

Just to say, hollowing can make vertexes go of the grid in minute amounts leading to compiling errors that are almost impossible to trace. Just make a box out of 6 brushes, it doesn’t take that long.

It’s fine if it’s only temporary. There’s no point in building a really optimized skybox only to discover you have to re-build it because you want to radically change your map.

True, but it’s better to get used to doing it properly then you won’t find it an arduous task every time you do your sky boxes.

I really find it easier to hollow - skybox my map until I’ve done buildings that reach the top of the map, then I start brushing the skybox in properly, and lastly removing the hollowed skybox.

I know its probably not the best way, but its useful and helps work flow like no other.

I use the cordon tool myself. Mainly because i only ever render the area of the map which i’ve been working on. Saves time on compiling, especially if the only area you need to look at is the one you have just made.

I always spend like 10 minutes running through my level after every compile, I probably lose a lot of mapping time because I usually compile every 30 minutes or so.