Some help with modeling programs

So I’ve decided to use the xsi mod tool for my modeling needs, but I’m not sure which version I should download. I’ve heard that 7.5 isn’t that good for modeling for source, and 6.01 was better. But I’m not sure.

So can someone point me in the right direction?

get milkshape WAAAAY BETTER

Get 3DS Max. You can get it for free by signing up as a student. It’s far more useful and has more capabilities than Milkshape or XSi. You can also try Blender, which is free to use in general (a lot of people complain about the user interface being a clusterfuck though, so that’s really up to your opinion). Milkshape 3D is also somewhat decent to use, but it’s fairly limited and isn’t really the best for making models from scratch.

Nice, might try 3ds max, but reason why I wanted to stick with xsi is that I already spent a lot of time learning it. Thanks for the info about 3ds max, didn’t know you could get it free as a student. Is the UI easy to understand and not a clusterfuck?

I haven’t really used 3DS Max very much myself since it was labeled as 3DS Max 9. I can’t really tell you how it is now. I’m planning on getting it soon (need to upgrade from using Milkshape and Blender), so all I can really tell you is to take a look for yourself.

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

BTW milkshape is way less cluttered, as recent versions of 3ds take a shitload of your drive and it has too many tools you dont need