Some things I'm working on(Source 2) - What should I port/expand on once S&Box comes out?

Hey,

I’ve been working with Source 2 ever since the tools for Alyx came out and I’ve been doing quite some mapping for it. Just as everyone I’m looking forward to S&Box and I can’t wait to make new maps/port my existing ones to it. That’s actually why I’m writing this. I will link a collection of the better maps I made for Alyx in order to get feedback on what would be worth porting. If you decide to help me, thanks, if you don’t, then at least for checking it out.

Link for the collection: Steam Workshop::Some maps I made

Link for a channel where I sometimes publish mechanics of maps I’m currently working on(currently resurrecting combine and some time-wrapping mechanics): Cement Showcase - YouTube

Again thanks for at least checking it out and have a nice day!

4 Likes

cool, but what’s that profile pic?

2 Likes

port mine first please. That one looks cool and has a kind of scary atmosphere which will probably be hard to find with the first few maps that s&box gets from other users. Its very unique, good job!

1 Like

It’s a concept art of a zombie from Half-life: Alyx. It was included in the Final Hours of HLA.

Here’s some quick description of each map in case you don’t want to check Steam Workshop yourself:

Resin Collector

• Minigame about (suprisingly) collecting Resin in VR as quickly as possible(with working timer!).
  • Includes modificators, difficulties and customizable music

Redemption

• Short prison-escape map focusing on immersion and realistic depiction of how Andy Dufresne felt when preparing his grand escape
  • The gameplay consists out of crawling through tight spaces, digging through meters of concrete with your trusty hammer and solving few puzzles

Cozy

• A scenic map set in cozy cabin somewhere in a snowy forest
  • Includes some secrets and a fully functional lightable fireplace(without the warmth, though)

Alive

• A short sequence about being burried alive! VR is recommended :slight_smile:

Brawl!

• A melee oriented map about beating zombies to death only with your hands

Height

• A very short map made specifically for VR and people with fear of heights

The Red Door

• Inspired by concept for HL:Alyx, this is an expandable map(uses the Map Extention feature of Source 2) not very different from Stargate or Doctor Who with magical Red Door that can lead you anywhere and anytime. Each room is a different genre.
  • I have abandoned this project for some while, having only 6 rooms(scenic, horror, combat,…), but thanks to the way it was built I can come back anytime to add new rooms.

House

• A survival-horror map set in abandoned mansion with haunted by an ancient evil
  • Includes new mechanics including two new custom weapons
    • a stunstick for melee combat
    • a crossbow that fires bolts of glowing substance you use to light originally dark mansion up
  • Apart from that the mansion itself is one big puzzle with different items that you need to find around it and combine to progress
  • This map won a third place in a horror-themed Alyx Vaultmaps mapping competition

Mine

• This is the last map I made for Alyx and is also part of a mapping competition hosted by Map Labs, but the judging isn’t finished yet
  • The map itself starts off with player digging through a tunnel in order to fix broken pipes, but soon ends up as much more with different environments and bunch of new mechanics
  • Spoiler of what the player finds: The player happens to gain control of the famous ship Borealis, but sadly without enough power to travel back home. Because of this they have to go through 3 different environments(Forest while fighting it’s inhabitants, Frozen wasteland climbing through snowy caves and finally an ancient Pyramid filled with traps and puzzles) to find power sources.

This was a quick rundown of what maps I have to offer for S&Box or perhaps what new things I’m capable of making with this previous experience. With every map I try to make something unique compared to my previous work and to the base game i’m making the map for. I always work on new maps in some capacity - currently on three smaller projects. One is about infiltrating a secret base with bioweapon that reanimates dead soldiers(Half-Dead - YouTube). The second one will use time-wrapping abilities(Time - YouTube) and the last one is a GTA-inspired map set in a city where the player will be able to join and work for different gangs and factions. Thank you for checking it out(you can probably find gameplay of some of the maps on YT by creators such as Willhart or Skummeh) and if you happen to be in the mood you can try some of the listed maps for yourself and give back some feedback. Have a nice day! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

facepunch if this man does not get s&box you just missed a huge opportunity

1 Like

Hey,

I thought I might as well post some better screenshots/videos of some of the maps to give you a better illustration of what they are about(rather than just their thumbnail photos :slight_smile: )

Resin Collector

Video by Skummeh

Redemption

Video by Willhart

Cozy

Video by Willhart

Alive

Video by Willhart

Brawl!

Video by Skummeh

Height

Video by Willhart

The Red Door

Video by Skummeh

House

Videos by Skummeh and Willhart

Mine

Video by Willhart

So…
This is about all I want to show. If you’re interested in how the maps play watch the linked videos. So thanks for checking this out. Feedback is always appreciated :slight_smile:

Since this is basically my Portfolio, I might update it with the things I worked on since I made this topic.

Dm_lab

This project is basically finished and prepared for S&Box release now. It’s a (unsuprisingly) a deathmatch map set in a futuristic environment with few fun things like traps and hazards around the map. For more details check the topic I made specifically for it, when I was still developing the map.

Rp_SlavSchool

For this I’ll only send a link to the topic, since it’s still in development together with some screenshots.

So…
Thanks for checking this out and have a nice day! :slight_smile:

I like the house and the port ones

1 Like

Thanks POPO.

I’m adding a walkthrough of dm_lab by Willhart and walkthrough of Mine by Skummeh

I’m also adding a stream by Tyler McVicker, who played through the entire map too.

1 Like