Sony Vegas question

Hey guys, quick question. I am assuming most of you here use Vegas to edit your videos. I am trying to put Action Movie Essentials muzzle flares on my video, and I do this by chroma keying the black out of the picture. It looks good, however when I render the final video, the layer showing the actual muzzle flash is completely gone or invisible. It shows up fine on the preview, but when it is rendered the muzzle flashes are completely gone. Is there something I am doing wrong?

You do know, that these files already have an alpha channel, right?

I’m not sure I follow… I’ve never used Chroma Keying or any of that stuff before, so I’m kind of new with it. Could you maybe give me a few pointers as to what I can do? I don’t know what an Alpha Channel is…

Definition:In graphics, a portion of each pixel’s data that is reserved for transparency information. 32-bit graphics systems
contain four channels – three 8-bit channels for red, green, and blue (RGB) and one 8-bit alpha channel.
The alpha channel is really a mask – it specifies how the pixel’s colors should be merged with another pixel when the two are overlaid, one on top of the other.

Make sure you got two channels.
1: mask
2: main footage

1: put your muzzle flash
2: put your main footage.

Use pan and crop on the muzzle flash to adjust size, position, and angle.

Thanks, but I think I did what you just helpfully provided to me correctly. I am not sure if there is a ‘mask’ setting, but basically I have the ‘gunshot’ channel above the main footage channel. I dragged the footage onto the project, used pan/crop track motion tool to position it, and then chroma keyed the black out (plus a bit of low threshold editing to erase some small visual artifacts). When it’s rendered, the layer is just not present, and the gunshots are nowhere to be seen. Maybe it’s the method I’m using to export it?

Could it be that I’m exporting it using a framerate lower than it should be, so that when it exports it skips the frames that the muzzle flashes are on? The flashes are only on screen for like one frame.

EDIT: I solved it myself, last paragraph :stuck_out_tongue:

masking is when you put a clip above another clip, so you mask over it.