Source 1 > Source 2 Map Porting?

is it easy guys??

2 Likes

This could be helpful.

2 Likes

mouth watering thx :grinning:

1 Like

I think it’s better to avoid porting and to create proper maps directly… but it’s true that it can help at the beginning of the game.

3 Likes

Ehh, I do not see many problems with it. The main issues are gonna be higher “brush” counts than necessary due to the (comparably) source 1 exclusive issues of needing to seal the map and the inability to have concave shapes. Lower fidelity geometry and assets overall. There also may be light leaks due to separate brushes/mesh making up the world and not just a carved out mesh/brush

1 Like

Just make new maps, would be a shame to fill sbox with all the same shit from s1.

6 Likes

no you don’t understand i want to port rp downtown

1 Like

Source 2 has some major differences. The visleaf system is different so you may get maps that optimized for Source 1 but are incredibly laggy in Source 2. Also compile times are exponentially longer in Source 2. A huge open map in Source 1 will take an incredible amount of time to compile with realistic lighting. Also entities behave differently, and have different properties. Someone will have to create a non-trivial converter if valve hasn’t already.

Hopefully the gpu based baking that garry has will help those times.

I disagree heavily. It would offer comfort and familiarity. Remember quite a lot of people are coming here think Sandbox is Gmod 2, it is not but that is beside the point. Blame people on the discord for saying “It is like Gmod but better” Some people do not want everything to change and luckily for the consumer it will not in many cases as mods will be ported from Sandbox to GMod. They will miss mounting support but depending on the person that could or could not be a total dealbreaker. For me, at least it is a step backwards but supposedly importers will magically solve the issue. We will see though.

2 Likes

Actually I have not noticed a big difference with decompiled Portal 2 maps in Half Life Alyx in Source 2. So take of that what you will and you can already import Source vmf files into hammer and compile them. The only thing valve complains about though is sealing your maps. Which can lead to exponentially longer compile times. Also making maps out of individual block brushes is discourage on the VDW that being said I have noticed no real issues with the decompiled Portal 2 maps. Not gonna say it is optimized or that it aint totally broken but it works.

Yes but that’s just going to bring even more recycled content. We do not have to make stuff exactly like Gmod 1 just so people will buy the game. Mounting support should be there, yes, but we should avoid recycling old shit.

1 Like

Recycling shit is gonna be what some people want. Again, it is comfort, it is nostalgia. Not to mention people on the discord say “It is Garry’s Mod 2.0” and shit like that. Yes it is gonna be recycled, does anyone actually care? I mean if you see gm_flatgrass map on the workshop are you really gonna complain? Are you not gonna scroll past it. New content will be made for sandbox do not worry. “Recycled Content” implies you want no porting of any addons, mods or gamemodes to Sandbox from Garry’s mod which you can not only not stop, but is downright stupid of you to think in the first place. Not only can you ignore the mods you do not want, plenty of mods and game modes there are plenty of good addons/mods that should be brought over or are just staples of the community…

2 Likes

Some people, sure, but in the beginning I’d much rather see original content being developed to begin with that the game can use as “flagship content” to attract new players with and present - rather than shitty RP map ports that have been regurgitated through a seagull’s sphincter 40 different times since the early days of Gmod.

I would much rather play GMod without performance issues. I really do not care about the game mode side of things, most you are gonna get is what has been created before, which is cool but not really interested. That being said Being able to port maps and models from old GMod will get the game up and running more quickly. Which can then encourage people to produce sandbox specific stuff.