Spawn NPC from a button (clientside menu)

Local server but I’m told that still matters

My init file contains the following:

function GM:InitPostEntity()
end
hook.Add( "InitPostEntity", "some_unique_name", function()
	print( "Initialization hook called" )
end )

I have no idea if I’m using that correctly. My searches contained semi-contradictory information, ents.Create was removed in gmod 13 and so on. Pretty fragmented so I’m not sure if my syntax is even right.

This next one is part of a Doclick function that is working correctly for the other parts of it. (play a sound)

local spawnff = ents.Create('npc_citizen')

if ( !IsValid( spawnff ) ) then return end // Check whether we successfully made an entity, if not - bail
				spawnff:SetModel( "models/npc/cdc_soldier_npc.mdl")
				spawnff:SetPos( Vector( 0, 0, 100 ) )
				spawnff:Spawn()
				end

but I am getting a NIL field value error in console. I tried copying this exact block to the init but it never worked either. Some direction would be awesome.

You’ll need to look at the net library. You create a button, on the DoClick of it, send a message to the server telling it to create an entity. Hook to that message on the server and spawn it.

ents.Create is a function and was not removed, however it exists server side, while derma and buttons only exist on the client. Which is why things aren’t working out.

I tried using netlibrary for the sounds as well. I could never get it to work but I still have the code in there // .
in client.lua

--surface.PlaySound("File1.mp3") 
--net.Start('send_playsound') net.WriteString("ENG101_Onscene.mp3")  
--net.SendToServer()

now in init.lua

util.AddNetworkString('send_playsound')
util.AddNetworkString('send_broadcastsound')

local function PlaySound()
	local strSound = net.ReadString()

net.Start("send_broadcastsound")
		net.WriteString(strSound)
	net.Broadcast()
end
net.Receive("send_playsound", PlaySound)

dog.gif/ihavenoideawutimdoing

Alright, so basically, in a server side file you’re going to want to pool the net message name, and set the receive hook then spawn it at the players eye trace hit pos, like so
[lua]
util.AddNetworkString(“spawn_npc1”)

net.Receive(“spawn_npc1”, function(l, ply)
local hit = ply:GetEyeTrace().HitPos

local ent = ents.Create("npc_citizen")
ent:SetModel("models/npc/cdc_soldier_npc.mdl")
ent:SetPos(hit)
ent:Spawn()

end)
[/lua]

and in a client side file, you’re going to want to have your button(parented to your main panel!) which sends the net message upon click of it, like this
[lua]
local btn = vgui.Create(“DButton”, MyParentPanel)
btn:SetSize(100, 50)
btn:SetText(“Spawn NPC”)
btn:SetPos(0, 0)
function btn:DoClick()
net.Start(“spawn_npc1”)
net.SendToServer()
end
[/lua]

Awesome. It loaded without errors but when I tried to spawn I got this : Bad sequence (-1 out of 1 max) in GetSequenceLinearMotion() for model ‘error.mdl’!

EDIT. Reloaded and no errors but it doesn’t actually spawn it. Console doesn’t give me any clues to what’s going wrong?

change the model