Spliting SMD files help

Before I begin, I use 3ds Max 2012.
I have been trying my hand on porting recently again and everything was going well until I came across this error.

Created command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\SourceSDK\bin\orangebox\bin\studiomdl.exe" -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod" -nop4 -nox360 "C:\Users\Dev\Desktop\Boeing 787\Boeing 787.qc"

qdir:    "c:\users\dev\desktop\boeing 787\"
gamedir: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\"
g_path:  "C:\Users\Dev\Desktop\Boeing 787\Boeing 787.qc"
Building binary model files...
Working on "Boeing 787.qc"
SMD MODEL C:\Users\Dev\Desktop\Boeing 787/Boeing 787.smd
ERROR: 'EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION' (assert: 1)
ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'models\Boeing_787\Boeing 787.mdl'
WARNING: Leaking 1 elements

I made a previous thread about this error which I have been informed that the cause of this error was that the model I am attempting to compile has too many vertices (Model has like 38k vertices) and that I have to split the model into multiple SMD files, but the problem is that I don’t know how to split the model into multiple SMD files. I have try looking for instructions on how to split SMD files with no avail. If anyone can help out, that would be great.

Edit: So I tried it with the SFM Complier. This is what the compiler spit out.

Compiling...

qdir:    "c:\users\dev\desktop\boeing 787\"
gamedir: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game\hl2\"
g_path:  "Boeing 787.qc"
Building binary model files...
Working on "Boeing 787.qc"
SMD MODEL C:\Users\Dev\Desktop\Boeing 787\/Boeing 787.smd
WARNING: model has too many verts, cutting into multiple models
ERROR: Too many bones used in model, used 538, max 256
ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'models\Boeing_787\Boeing 787.mdl'

...Compiling finished. Check above for any errors.

So apparently I realize the model also used too many bones and as I expected also used up too many verts as well, but I am not sure how to cut the amount of bones to fit in to the Source Engine as well.

Anybody? I know its being a short amount of time since I made this thread, but I really could use some help here.

Bump.

Why does an airplane model have so many bones?

To be honest, I am not sure why my model end up having so much bones. I think either the model was very detailed or something went wrong while I was exporting the model, but at the moment I still not sure what is the cause is behind with the crazy amount of bones generated within the model.

Just post the smd file and we can take a look at it.

Alright here is the SMD file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1y11lqx3mlwrjj/Boeing%20787.SMD

Mother of god that thing is MASSIVE! No wonder the compiler kept yelling you.

Alright, I split it up for you. Also, you had a shitload of bones, but they all had zeroed positions and were mostly for damage. I just merged them into a single one. If you need to add some later it won’t be difficult.

Thank you for the help. Now, I just need to apply the textures on the model.

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/597038752338288845/E55CDAA670873D74A93A6A8C569D8C841D6866A3/2048x1280.resizedimage

However, I got ask you one question since I really need the knowledge to split up SMD files for later porting. How do you split SMD files?

I just select the vertices I want and hit P.

I use Blender though, so it’ll probably be different for Max.

Oh. Then I guess I will have to keep looking for a way to split SMD files using 3ds max. Thanks for the tip anyways. I guess this will do for now.