*** ERROR *** Excessive sizelevel (58) for element
*** ERROR *** Excessive sizelevel (59) for element
*** ERROR *** Excessive sizelevel (60) for element
*** ERROR *** Excessive sizelevel (61) for element
*** ERROR *** Excessive sizelevel (62) for element
*** ERROR *** Excessive sizelevel (63) for element
*** ERROR *** Excessive sizelevel (64) for element
*** ERROR *** Excessive sizelevel (65) for element

We’re error that causes the server to crash from time to time. Server requires manual restart after that

Anyone else get it? Anyone know what causes it? (maps, GMod bug, etc.)

Thanks

It’s an issue surrounding a model, but I have no idea which. Does your server have any custom ragdolls?

Thanks for the reply

No custom ragdolls, however it does make use of some TF2 models (not playermodels)
Runs a custom gamemode I made

It’s a model related issue, but as far as I know, there aren’t any default TF2 models that are broken in such a way. Source has a hard limit for models, so having too many on a server at once, especially if the map already has a large amount of models, such as rp_apocalypse, will usually crash the server.

I see. I do run some fairly large maps, which make use of CSS models. It’s probably that then. Trouble is, I can’t tell which map breaks it as I run a few in a cycle!

Thanks for the heads up though. You don’t happen to know if this same error could cause the server to silently crash with no errors, again requiring a manual reboot? Cheers

Yes it can. It’s not a Garry’s Mod or lua issue, it’s a Source issue, which won’t report errors in console. There really isn’t a way to fix the issue, or isolate the map, without being online when it happens. If you have a lot of players able to build, create entities, on a map that already has a large amount of props and models, chances are that’s the issue. However, it’s possible that the issue is happening only due to a specific occasion with a specific mode/entity, so I’d watch out for that too.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks very much for the info. I’ve been getting quite a few silent crashes, perhaps it’s due to this.

Thing is, players aren’t able to create any models. The only way they can do so is by “buying” a weapon and spawning it or activating a hat, so it’s not as if there are many possibilities for a player spawned model to be causing it (though it’s possible)

If it crashes the server once, am I right in thinking it won’t always crash the server, but will crash when it spawns? I often hear that the server crashes on map change (yet the map change is successful)

The best way to see what the cause is, is just to isolate the problem. If the crashes are on a map change, or not in the middle of a game, then chances are it’s a map or gamemode problem dealing with an entity that may be using a model that causes issues.

Or it could just be a line of code, there are always persnickety lines that will work except on specific occasions, lines that look fine at first, but may cause crashes when criteria are met, but if the crash is silent, I don’t think that’s the issue.

An example of a silent crash that is related to what you are experiencing, for instance, is when a player spawns an entity via the Q menu, and the entity lacks a specific function. Although the entity can be spawned fine and dandy though code, going through the spawn menu will crash the game silently. Though this may not be your issue, it is a related incident, and I would look into one of your entities being broken in such a way. If it’s not an entity, then it’s most likely a map/model issue.

Just try and isolate the problem.

Alright, thanks for the extra info. I’m fairly certain it’s a map issue, but it could be other things. I have a stacked install, so two servers writing to the same file could be causing something to go wrong