Starting an admin mod

I am wondering how to start up an admin mod. I just want to know the how to start the basics of these:

1. Permanate usergroups
  2. Commands

Thanks,
Flex

Make your admin mod how you like it, and don’t copy methods of other ones. I’m also making my own admin mod as we’re speaking… :v: Regardless of methods, as long as its easy to add new commands, and the admin mod itself is pretty easy to configure, anything can work. A way of doing it would be tables, the rest explains itself.

Yeah but I don’t know where or how to start. That’s the problem.

You need to identify what defines your admin mod in terms of what you want / need it to support. A very basic definition is something like the following:

• a player can be a member of a group
  • a group is…
    • a collection of permissions
    • something that is networked to the client (probably)
    • unable to target groups with higher immunity than itself
    • something that stores a list of its permissions
    • something that stores a list of its players
  • a permission is…
    • a flag that determines if a player can use a command
    • something that is assigned to a group
  • a command is…
    • function with a set of parameters that perform an action
    • assigned a permission
    • only able to be run when a player is in a group that has the right permission
    • only able to be run on players of lower immunity
    • passed arguments from a parser or console command
  • a parser is…
    • something that takes a line of text from chat or console
    • that returns an array of arguments

you get the general idea hopefully…

Once you have a clear picture of what it is you’re trying to build the actual steps to get there should become apparent. If you’re stuck on where to start draw a directed graph (with arrows and boxes) of what components depend on what other components, then start with something that a lot of things depend on but has very few dependencies itself.