STEAM_ID_PENDING and VAC mode on Linux

I’m trying to run a GMod server on a dedicated linux server of a friend.

So, I followed the wiki tutorial to set it up with Wine. Everything seems OK, except that I don’t get a proper steam ID, instead I have STEAM_ID_PENDING. The server kick me after like 1-2 minutes with the reason “No SteamID”.

After waiting 10-15 minutes, I finally get the “VAC Mode enabled…” message in the server console, and I have a proper SteamID.

So any idea what is causing this? Because waiting 15 minutes everytime I have to reboot the server is not very practical…

Thanks in advance

Wine? I understand why you’re using it but I’ve heard it’s still buggy and not good for servers.

Well I didn’t even have to apply the surfaceproperties fix and I can walk in the white room, and gm_hugehill for example works fine. It’s just this annoying VAC/SteamID problem.

I have the latest wine version available for my distribution

I have this very same problem. Currently there is no working and legal fix.
It only happens with some linux configurations yet to be discovered why.

What’s the Operating system (and version), processor, 32 or 64 bit os, etc?

Debian Lenny 32Bits, Core 2 Duo E6550 @2.33GHz

Debian is a very common server os… Every time I’ve experienced this problem the os has been debian. On other pc with older debian version with my servers it worked. In new pc+new version of debian it didn’t.
Also, which debian version?

Debian Lenny so 5.0 if I remember correctly. It has a modified kernel (by OVH)

[editline]07:24PM[/editline]

I tried to use the latest version of Wine, but it doesn’t fix the problem

It works for me without problems. NetBSD 5.0.1 with Wine 1.0.1

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I want to try anyway.

My system:



Ubuntu server edition - 9.10(newest) - 32bit
I tried with the newest Wine
Wine 1.0.1
Core 2 Duo - @3GHz


I get this too, I can’t seem to fix it, I tried a lot of stuff, like downgrading my wine to 1.0.1, since I heard it was the least bugged, but it did not help, I have fixed all errors I get when I start the server, the only error I get now is:


 
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)


And it should not matter.

I had this problem too, I somehow fixed it, I have no idea how though, since I have done a lot since I had that error.

I am using a .sh file with this:


 
#!/bin/bash
echo "Starting up Garry's Mod 10 server."
Xvfb :1&
sleep 3
export DISPLAY=:1
sleep 1
cd gmod/Valve/srcds/orangebox && WINEDEBUG=-all wine srcds.exe -console -game garrysmod +map rp_downtown_v2 +maxplayers 24 +ip 192.168.1.4 +sv_lan 0 +port "27019" +hostname "Elmegaard's Server" +sv_defaultgamemode "DarkRP" -autoupdate &
sleep 3
echo "Server up and running."


I have tried waiting the 15 min, I have also tried waiting 1 hour, but with no result, I have really no idea whats wrong. I always get the “Disconnect: Kicked by Console : “No SteamID”.”

EDIT:

I had the error:



ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed:  Permission denied   

But I just used these commands:



$ modprobe snd_seq 
$ chmod 777 /dev/snd/seq


Bump

Change OS to something other than debian or debian derived (*ubuntu) and try again. It seems that wine and debian based linuxes don’t like each other when you try to run srcds.

Well, figured it might be a port forwarding problem, since my internet provider closed all ports on my internet…