Stool - point_flesh_effect_target

A friend of mine and I are doing some experiments with the $flesh .vmt parameters for source textures, and we need a stool that can spawn a point_flesh_effect_target point entity. It’s that effect in EP2 when the vorts were healing Alyx. You remember, right?

Just has to be something similar to the default light spawner stool, with a slider for the radius of the effect. Think of it like a blacklight. With the right textures and parameters, it could actually be used exactly like that, we think. We won’t know exactly what it could be used for until we get our hands on a dynamic way to spawn the entity though.

Thanks!

I have to say, this would be pretty bad-ass if anyone could do it. It’d be great for messing around, to Machinima’s.

The only issue being, you’d have to be-able to set what texture it is. Even then, the $flesh may have special parameters that can’t just be added to anything/everything.

A video, if you don’t know what he means.

point_flesh_effect_target doesn’t exist in gmod.
Not sure about gmod13, but I doubt it’s there.

It’s safe to say that it’d work pretty well with models since it’s a set of parameters for vertexlitgeneric.

It’s a shame there’s no easy implementation though. I wonder if it’d be possible to create an entity that mimics the effects and uses the same $flesh parameters within a certain radius.

Nein.

For one: The point_flesh_effect_target entity is a mapping entity, which points what effect to what and what. (Tells that npc___ is doing ___ to ___ with sex)

Not only would you have to simulate this/re-make it in Lua, but every model you do it on has to be rigged. The EP2 Alyx model is the single only model set-up to use this effect.

You would have to come up with a new way to ‘emulate’ this effect, if you wanted to do it at all.

According to preliminary testing, any model using vertexlitgeneric can use the $flesh parameter set.

I even successfully tested the parameters from Alyx on a rifle.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21161113/random/flesh_rifle.JPG

Obviously, there’s no need for fleshy guns, but with the right amount of time and proper tools for ingame testing, it has potential, like bodygroups. It’s the opportunity to make something unique.

In the event that someone utilizes the $Flesh parameters properly, (which is to say, without forcing it on), we can simulate the interior of any given object – the insides of machinery, of people, of any sort of object or creature.
Turning the entity into a SEnt or STool would give any comic, machinima, or pose makers more creative freedom ingame, without the aid of external editing programs or prowess.

Also, a model does not need to be rigged for $Flesh to work. We (and a few others) have been playing around with it on a wide variety of models – from effects, to props, to ragdolls. And it allows you to define a variety of textures.
I’ll refer you to the ValveWiki page on the $Flesh parameter, with all of its subordinate commands.

All you would need to do, in essence, would be to bind the effect to a simple model – a set of planes with a flare texture would really be sufficient. That’s all the lightbulb model is.

In theory, you could bind the entity to the previously mentioned model, and have it spawn as a SEnt. And… if it is an entity that exists within Episode 2, then it exists in the Source 2007 engines and all later versions. This means that Garry’s Mod would very likely have it as well.

If you’d read the page closely, you’d notice that the entity also doesn’t require any children to be defined, only a parent entity – and that a radius can be defined. Meaning simply that it will affect any models within that radius that have the $flesh parameter in their respective VMTs.

If you want more examples of the shader being used (we can only use it by activating the debug function in the VMT right now), just say the word. We can do this to anything using the VertexLitGeneric shader.

Here, this is a quick custom $flesh texture applied properly to model.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21161113/padd_subsurface.jpg