Stop Motion Helper (version 2 released!)

Version 2 is released! It’s a complete remake of the tool.

What is it?
Stop Motion Helper is a tool that is designed to help with making stop motion animations in Garry’s Mod. It can save the state of ragdolls and props into frames and animate between them.

Why should I use it?
There are many reasons.

• You can make linear transitions between two positions, and also ease them in and out
  • You can store ragdoll and prop positions into frames, so you don’t have to make screenshots right away
  • You can save all of your recorded frames, so you can come back to your project, change things, and render it again
  • You can use it in any ragdoll posing situation to store different poses of your ragdolls

What’s new in version 2?

• Frames are now stored seperately for each entity, so they are not locked to all entities
  • Frames are positioned in a timeline, very similar to 3D animation programs, which makes frame manipulation much more easier and fluid
  • There’s a save/load system that works
  • The tool is much more stable now

How do I use it?
Follow the tutorial.

Bug reporting and links
You can report issues either here or on the Workshop page.

Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=111895870
GitHub: https://github.com/Winded/StopMotionHelper

Gonna post it here too, just in case.
Saving doesn’t work with ragdolls (tried HWM sniper and scout - ‘TF2 Better phys with bonus V2’ from Facepunch) when there are more than 9 recorded frames (these green thingies) on the timeline. If there are 10 frames or more and I save and try loading the save, it doesn’t show an entity to select, and if I just select the save name in ‘Saved scenes’ menu and click ‘Load’, I get this:

[Stop Motion Helper] lua/includes/extensions/table.lua:161: bad argument #1 to ‘pairs’ (table expected, got nil)

1. pairs - [C]:-1
  2. Count - lua/includes/extensions/table.lua:161
  3. func - lua/smh/server/data.lua:133
  4. _Call - lua/bivalues/bivalues.lua:218
  5. func - lua/bivalues/bivalues.lua:276
  6. unknown - lua/includes/modules/net.lua:32

And the broken save ends abruptly, NOT with something like ‘“EaseIn”:0,“Position”:5,“EaseOut”:0}}}}}’
But it seems to work ok a with prop (FurnitureBathtub001a).

Boschitt loves you.

YESH! This is №1 reason why i love version 2, but damn its realy hard to animate without ghosts, hope you’ll add them soon.

Q: Where’s ghosts?
A: I was planning on adding onion skinning and ghosts to version 2, but due to shortage on development time, I cut them out, as I do not think they are essential. I will add them later.

srsly, like a guy who using smh many years i’m saying that we need ghosts, they ARE essential.
Thanx! Best tool ever.

Every time I click my binded playback button it only plays three frames, then stops, I cant fix it, please help.

You need to hold the key down

Hey, just a curious question, will there ever be a future update that lists Facial Animation as a separate entity? There is a similar function with Henry’s Animation Tool I know at least, or is that not possible with the way you’ve designed it?

Keep up the good work!

I have been planning a layers feature which would give entities multiple frame timelines that handle different aspects of the entity, such as phys bones, bones, face posing, bodygroups, and so on. For when I have time to do this, I don’t know.

hey dude i got a bit of a disability hard to hold down keys atm was hoping you’d add in a option to toggle the +smh_menu like typing +menu -menu does?

edit also the same with smh_playback or any of the other toggle tools would be sick.

and if im gonna be suggesting stupid stuff- being able to click on frames above the green keyframes to select the cursors location would be sick, and holding the left mouse button and sliding up/down to change the ease in/out values would be too cool :slight_smile: hah

also, a button to play the animation from first frame? totally awesome;

first post ever, account since may 2011. says something here. i dont know

I’m having a hard time using the smh_record feature. It simply does not work. I bound it to my P key and I am trying to animate a Engineer from Team Fortress 2 and it does not do anything. Suggestions?

EDIT: I figured it out. I was mistaking the smh_makejpeg feature for the smh_record command.

im getting the following error in the console when using this tool:

Failed to synchronize; BiValue container not found!Failed to synchronize;

i dont know whats going on but this needs to get fixed