Stuff I'm making on my journey learning 3D modelling

My models so far

Fence
First thing I made in blender to get a grip on navigating around

Lightsaber
Second thing I made. I love Star Wars, so I thought, huhhm, a lightsaber is just a cool looking cylinder.

Sci-fi ornament
Wanted to make more sci-fi stuff.

Street lamp
After having messed around with the emitter material for the first time I wanted to make a simple lamp of sorts.

E-11
Then I made a blocky E-11, the plan was to make a proper E-11, but that was and probably is too hard for my current skill level. (First time experimenting with a reference picture)

Low poly Sword
Made a low poly sword following some random concept art I found.

Table
After having made a sword, I wanted to try something bigger and where I couldn’t just rely on copying the concept art nearly 1:1.
Table
Plant Box
After having made the table I wanted to make a plant box. Might make some sort of plant next, like cabbage or something, the green stuff is my take on cabbage but looks like massive emeralds or something.

Plant Box with weird gel
Tried adding glass material to the “cabbage” and it ended up looking kind of like a gel of sorts.

Now, present day, I don’t know what is next, but I may make some basic vegetables or other plants, maybe trees. Though I may also make another lightsaber or perhaps a chair to go with my table.

I learn by just making stuff and then searching for a tutorial if I get stuck, seems to work the best for me. This is from about a week of learning on and off while playing other games like Battlefront 2, CS:GO and GTA V RP.

3 Likes

Make sure to watch the donut and anvil tutorial.

1 Like

ian hubert has some quick tutorials on how to do pretty cool stuff. taught me a lot of blender things i know today.

Update:
Held a little brake, but did some more stuff the past few days.
Darth Terry background
I simply changed his eye color, posed him up and gave him a saber, but god damn, is he one evil motherf*ucka! (made the saber like that to reflect Terry’s clunky persona)

Porting
I wanted to see how porting directly is done, so I tried doing that to Dooku’s saber and an E-11 from BF2. Was pretty cool to see how the big boys (Dice) do things.
Dooku’s Lightsaber
Made the blade myself since it’s apparently an effect in BF2 and not a part of the mesh? Weird

E-11
To me, it looks a bit funky, but that might just have to do with how the player sees the gun in-game, I think I did the texture stuff correctly.

I find hard surface modelling very satisfying, so I’ve been doing some of that.
Weird lamp thing:

Bed & Cloth sim
First time trying cloth sim here, love the pillow, the sheets are meh though.

Some SWTOR inspired models
Sci-fi crate
Yes, that hole on the side is for “slicing”.

Storage Thingy

Data Terminal

Dunno what it’s called, let’s call it a fancy wheelbarrow

Table from my living room
Messed a bit around with texturing here and with the sci-fi crate. Hard to get nice looking models without being a god of textures and materials, kinda sucks though, modelling is the fun part.

Anvil
Grodbert mentioned I should watch the donut and anvil tutorial, so I was like, meh, I can easily make those idk if it’s worth. Instead, I made an anvil without the tutorial (though it’s based on the anvil from the tutorial, not like I see an anvil every day, so I needed a reference) and as fast as I could, took about 5 min I think, looking back though, I could’ve done it quicker if I wasn’t so tired at the time.

I think I’ve got a grip on the tools, but I don’t have much of an “artistic touch” or the slightest clue on how to make good looking textures for very specific things with specific patterns (since anyone can just grab a generic metal material from some website and it’ll look meh), I think making textures is a tad too artistic for me though. I’m gonna keep at it though and just use references.

1 Like

He’s learning too fast… get him.

1 Like