[Suggestion] Duplicated Ammo Types

Hi people. Yesterday I was struggling with an SWEP that wasn’t working for no reason. Apparently, the game refused to create its custom ammo type. After some experimentation, I noticed that there’s a hardcoded limit of 128 ammo types. My first suggestion is to increase that limit a bit, as it can be easily reached with a few SWEP packs. However, I assume there’s a reason to keep that limit (or perhaps it is a limitation of the engine itself) so maybe increasing it is not option.

I also noticed that my game was full of duplicated ammo types. This is the original function, located in “lua/includes/extensions/game.lua”:

game.AddAmmoType = function ( tbl )

if ( !tbl.name ) then return end

table.insert( AmmoTypes, tbl )

end

As you can see, it doesn’t check if the new ammo type already exists, making the list quickly fill up with duplicates. Since we use a string to set our weapon ammo type, it probably only uses the first occurrence, and the rest of duplicates will never be used. I suggest adding this to that function:

game.AddAmmoType = function ( tbl )

if ( !tbl.name ) then return end

for i=1, #AmmoTypes do
		if AmmoTypes*.name == tbl.name then return end
	end

table.insert( AmmoTypes, tbl )

end

This way it won’t create duplicated ammo types, and we can use more weapons at the same time. I did it in my GMOD instalation and it works perfectly. Perhaps it is a good idea to include that in the default game files.

Oh, so it is already implemented in the beta Gmod? Nice. I guess we just need to wait until those changes are applied to the main branch.

I don’t think it’s implemented, it’s still an open request, not a merged one yet