Currently, the system of locks in game is unrealistic in a way that makes them far less secure than they should be. Specifically, it is possible to create a key or change a code to any unlocked lock you come across. I propose this be changed to better represent the way locks and keys function in real life; Namely, that creating new keys or codes should require the existing key or code rather than just an unactivated lock.
Here’s what I propose for mechanical locks:
- Remove being able to generate keys from unlocked mechanical locks.
- Add the automatic generation of a mechanical key, either when the lock is crafted or when it is placed on a door.
- Keep the ability to duplicate keys from existing keys, perhaps later adding the requirement of additional equipment to do so.
- Add the ability to craft additional mechanical locks which can be locked/unlocked with an existing key. (Add this as an option to the right-click menu for the key in your inventory). This would allow for multiple doors to be locked or unlocked with the same key.
Here’s what I propose for keycode locks:
- Remove being able to change the lock/unlock code on any unlocked door.
- Add a prompt to “enter a master code” when the player begins crafting a keycode lock. The master code for the lock is fixed and unchangeable.
- Add a “set keycode” option to the right-click menu of keycode lock, which brings up a prompt to enter the master code for the lock. If the correct master code is entered, a prompt will come up to enter the new keycode for the lock, which can then be used to lock or unlock the door.