I know I’m new here and that automatically makes me the “cancer that is killing facepunch”, but bare with me for a moment…
Given the recent changes, there’s been a hot debate about how easy it is to break into houses and steal everything you’ve worked for, but I think there’s a way to minimize that worry while also making the game a little more interesting.
So what if you could easily craft a safe and nobody else could open it, but the catch was that you could only have one safe placed at any given time?
Ideas for mechanics:
- either start with the recipe or have a good chance of finding it (I’m leaning more towards starting with it)
- crafting would take x amount of metal
- you’re only able to place on a foundation/roof
- placing another one will destroy the original or better yet replace it with a “cracked safe” that can then be looted and/or destroyed by anyone (this would create an incentive for someone to either take back their territory or forfeit it and their most prized possessions to the bandits that threw them out)
- should probably remain indestructable until it’s replaced
- perhaps later have a way to upgrade it with more slots
I think this would go a long way in alleviating people’s concerns about losing everything they’ve worked for. And as long as you could build one early on enough, it’d help new players keep some of their progress, even while getting pummeled on. It would also making solo play viable (still at a disadvantage, but viable nonetheless). This makes people breaking into your house and stealing your common supplies less worrisome, while also giving you a very big incentive to take your own home back, rather than abandoning it.
What say you, my fellow cancer and what about the rest of you grouches? Any issues? Any suggestions?
To people who are absolutely opposed to this, I do realize the idea of having safe loot is polarizing, but I really do think this could be a good compromise between the two camps, as it still leaves the option for someone to lose everything and further mechanics could definitely strike a better balance (i.e. a safe will automatically become cracked if it isn’t accessed in x days and can only be restored if the owner accesses it after that). Please keep an open mind and be constructive when you can. That’s all I ask.