So, I’ve been playing awesome gamemodes and addons too much. I want to create my own.
**The cons: **
- I know exactly what I want to do.
- I’m not stupid. I know this will be hard and I will have patience. I plan on divide this in small objetives that, in the end, should cooperate and work together to have this gamemode functioning.
- I have time to work in this.
As you see, the cons overweight the pros. My solution to that unbalance between them is this thread. I ask you for help. I don’t ask for written code (I’m not that stupid), I only need you people to tell me where to look, tutorials, similar ideas that other people did, wikias, etc. I need you to guide me.
This thread would be about the development of this gamemode (until it’s playable, then I would make a thread in ‘Gamemode & Addon Releases’) , plus me asking you about the problems I face. With time, I would have experience with this and would be more and more independent.
If it was a mistake making this thread, sorry. I’m only asking for all forms of help coding a gamemode for Garry’s Mod 13. If this is not the correct way to do this, tell me how I should do it.
About the gamemode
In short terms, my gamemode would be a NPC survival. Like Reasons To Kill, or Vein, or nZombies, or these ‘Combine-coming-to-kill-you’ specialized maps. The final features would be:
-Survive the maximum time possible against the Squad of Combines that is trying to find and kill you.
-Able to play in every map (previously configured a la nzombies)
-Custom NPC weapons.
-Enemies will operate in Squads, this should encourage stealth.
-Weapons, Ammo & health dispersed on maps. You start with nothing and will have to find them.
-Combines will search for ammo, medkits and other goods like you.
-Over time, certain events will happen. Zombie hordes or enemy backups, for example.
-The number of enemies will not be fixed. At start, for example, could be you vs 20 combines, but until you kill at least 18 of them, it won’t spawn more squads.
-If the Combine find X weapon, they will use it. (If a combine finds an RPG, it’s current weapon will change and be an RPG)
As you see the idea is very ambitious. I know it will be hard, but I think it’s posible, too. I’ve seen a lot of gamemodes and addons that have this features (one or two per addon/gamemode) or similar features.
I’m basing all of this on the actual Combine AI (and their ‘squads’ and ‘search mode’), the default GMod items (ammo, medkits, weapons) and a not-too-complex spawning system. I only need to control the Combine right with proper coding. If I can have them searching for a item, this project should be possible.
- My first goal is setting the gamemode. This seems “easy”, it seems that I only have to follow this guide.
- Then I want to spawn a combine on the map and make him enter in ‘search’ mode. I know Combines have that, I’ve seen them searching the area looking for me in other ocassions.
- Then I want to spawn an entire squad and make them do the same.
- Then I want to expand the area they use to search, so they can explore the entire map looking for the player.
- Strip the player weapons.
- Spawn weapons in a map.
Until I encounter a problem I can’t solve myself, your thoughts and advice about this are gold to me right now.