Switching to a weapon that has no ammo?

How would I go about allowing the player to switch to a weapon that has no ammo? I know its possible; I’ve seen it done, but how did they do it?

-snip snip snip-

He’s talking about all the weapons, not only SWEPs.

Sorry. I apparently wasn’t clear enough. If i had a pistol, shot all the ammo and switched to a different weapon and then tried to switch back to the pistol, it wouldnt let me because it had no ammo. How would i override that and allow me to get back to the pistol.

I’m sorry bout that, I misread your question. You may want to try Player.SelectWeapon to override the selection HUD.

How would I go about doing that? I like the way the selection HUD is, i just need to get back to the other weapons

that would be awesome… good for machinimas… start firing hear the bullets out… a little dialog “Oh, shit”

-bump- still need help with this… >.>

ply:SelectWeapon( "weapon_pistol" )

or in console: "use "…weapon:GetClass()

Sorry for the 1 month bump, but i think is a nice idea for sweps to, even if you have no ammo left you can still switch to it, Not with ply:SelectWeapon because that cant be called in a swep function IF you have no ammo. I dont think…

Yay im dumb for asking a question! I wonder how many more retards care to contribute to these 3 dumb ratings.

Make the SWEP have secondary ammo that is never used or displayed but always starts with 1 bullet. Make the ammo type something obscure like ‘Gravity’ or whatever it is.

Alright that works, but I have a weapon that uses secondary ammo. Is there any other way?

SWEP.Primary.ClipSize = -1

or

SWEP.Secondary.ClipSize = -1

The weapons must be coded to not use ammo in the first place.

Erm but I can’t have my weapons have infinite ammo

Set the ClipSize in the deploy as self.Primary/Secondary.ClipSize, this is when you switch to the weapon, since the ClipSize is read before this, disabling the ability to switch to it, you need to switch it immediately after.

So

SWEP.Primary.ClipSize		= 10
SWEP.Primary.DefaultClip	= 10

function SWEP:Deploy()	

SWEP.Primary.ClipSize		= 10
	self.Weapon:SendWeaponAnim( ACT_VM_DRAW )
	self:SetIronsights(false)

return true
end

I’m not really sure what you mean.

[lua]
SWEP.Primary.ClipSize = -1

function SWEP:Deploy()

self.Primary.ClipSize	= 10
self.Weapon:SendWeaponAnim( ACT_VM_DRAW )
self.Weapon:SetNextPrimaryFire( CurTime() + self.Weapon:SequenceDuration() )
self.Weapon:SetNextSecondaryFire( CurTime() + self.Weapon:SequenceDuration() )
self:SetIronsights( false )

return true

end

function SWEP:Holster()

self.Primary.ClipSize = -1

end
[/lua]

1. You shouldn’t be able to shoot during a draw animation.
  2. Better to use “self”, within it’s own table.
  3. Consistence spacing/indentation.
  4. Define an infinite ClipSize when you’re not using it.

yes I know… except number 4. Im just asking is that what you were talking about of how to set the clip size?

Yes.