Ever noticed how all Serious RP servers use DarkRP? Notice how they have shittons of rules and admins to get around using DarkRP? Notice how they don’t use 99% of the features DarkRP offers? Notice how they often don’t supply enough gameplay to be worth spending time on, nor incentives to come back that aren’t “you get to boss people around/donate to us”?
I did, and so did the other coder on this project. So, we spent some time developing the Team Combat Framework, designed to replace DarkRP on the SeriousRP servers, as they don’t use any of DarkRP’s features and suffer as a result of trying to use DarkRP as a base for a team based combat gamemode.
- A two team setup with friendly fire and bodyblocking fixed for you! No need to have admins regulate it.
- 5 gamemodes players can vote on using tickets gathered from winning rounds!
- A loadout system with leveling support, players can unlock new weapons by leveling up and playing the game!
And the most important of all,
- Retheme the gamemode to just about anything you want by just editing the shared.lua file’s helpfully commented Config variables. Want to do Hogwarts with Death Eaters on one side and Students on the other? Or how about a bash between Super Mutants and Raiders in the Wasteland? Anything is possible!
Other tidbits for the more developer minded of you:
- A robust voice acting system for experienced developers and VAs to implement, with pre-built support for a voice command menu using V, alongside context sensitive voice cues.
- Easy to work with Gamemode system, allowing you to add your own gamemodes if you know what you’re doing!
- Supports any weapon base, including homebrews! Use whatever guns you want!
By default, the game is set up themed for the American Revolutionary War, utilizing various workshop assets, including example weapons built on the TFA base, VGUI work done by Senpai Noodles, and voice acting done by Spicy. Here’s some screenshots!
Making new screenshots as the assets have changed
The best part about all of this, is it’s free open source software under the AGPL v3 license!
You can find the source code here, feel free to fork and/or send in pull requests:
American Revolutionary War is effectively the test case proof-of-concept for the framework.
To run it, you will need to ensure you have the following collection for assets:
Without them, you’re going to run into some problems.
Also, as I have not learned how to do hammer entities from LUA yet, you’re going to need to run it with the following maps if you’re using a vanilla installation and have not updated the vector locations(it’s sloppy and I hate it as much as you guys hate it too):
Thanks for checking this out, it’s been fun working on this project, and I hope you guys enjoy using it as much as we did making it!
I’ve got a proof of concept test server up at the following IP until the 22nd of December, if you want to come check it out.
Server is down for now while I fix the assets.