Team Fortress 2: Redux

Hello, we’re a group of people from Creators.TF and we make cool shit for the TF2 community because we are very passionate about this game :smiley:

Since s&box now exists, as an experiment, some members of our team have decided to try to port Team Fortress 2 to Source 2 to see where we would go with this idea. As of this date, all we’ve done was porting a few maps like 2Fort or Hydro to Source 2 using Alyx tools and some arbitrary gameplay code recreation on C#. But we are very excited to keep developing this project if we’re given just a bit more access to the development tools and environment that s&box presents.

We will be updating this thread with more development insights on maps and features as we progress with them.

Here’s some preview of the tc_hydro port, done by one of the members of our team:

36 Likes

Here’s another cool screenshot of the port I’m doing :eyes:

7 Likes

Oh damn - cool idea. Can’t wait to see what the future holds for this project.

1 Like

How is Creators.TF doing these days?

I haven’t played the game in a good bit but I recall the servers being fun. I tried to get put on with SourceMod but never made the cut. Hope things are still going well over there.

1 Like

We just shipped our big MvM event in collaboration with Potato.TF team a few weeks ago. It was even featured on the official TF blog post.
Check it out: Creators.TF - Digital Directive - Maps and Missions (Day 1)

2 Likes

get this man some keys

1 Like

I might just have to redownload TF2…

Hmm…

1 Like

Also trying to bring some life to the static map with some flashing lights like these.
Overall the map still needs a ton of work to be called an official Source 2 map, I’m working on this :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Successfully ported Source 1 ambient sounds into my map :eyes:

7 Likes

appears you arent the only one here lads

5 Likes

Really cool stuff :slight_smile: Remember seeing this on the Creators.TF Discord a year ago!

Also, update on Hydro:

Finally finished porting all the sounds and fixing all sound entities
Fixed some weird textures stuff
Started placing light probes everywhere
And also started to fix all overlays as they are missing from the port

5 Likes

Is C.TF going to make Hydro great again?

2 Likes

Small code update:

Started working on porting over all tf2 entities, starting with the gamemode related ones.
The one currently semi-working (as far as they can work without being tested)

• team_control_point
  • team_control_point_round
  • team_control_point_master
  • team_round_timer

And heres some screenshots of the code if you are into that sort of thing:

Thank you valve for making your OnTimeRemaining outputs so iregular

I love #region now

(before)
(after)

3 Likes

I can’t wait to fail at sniping an enemy who’s standing still from a distance, now in HD!

I wonder how far this can really be pushed, one of the biggest challenges is likely going to be the feel of the movement compared to Source 1. I really hope that this can be pushed really far, imagine how awesome it would be to get a TF Classic kind of experience out of just S&box. It’d go a long way to show the capabilities of S&box as more than just a Garry’s Mod clone at that point to people.

Hope to see you keep posting updates! I really want to see where this goes.

2 Likes

Has garry hit you up with some keys yet? I am all in when it comes to the idea of porting source 1 games to source 2, hell I wouldnt mind trying to have a go at as well when sbox comes out.

2 Likes

well not yet, but it is still the first week of keys being given out and trying to develop something on this scale in the first week of public access woudlnt go that well i assume, we are still doing everything we can that doesnt require access right now tho

We’re also still waiting for keys. I don’t think any keys got handed out to projects advertised in the forums. There are just a handful of selected people that received a key.
I do understand that Garry doesn’t want to put up with all the hassle of giving them out now, however I guess you’d want want one sooner rather than later. At least we wouldn’t mind the bugs.

3 Likes

yo nice job!

1 Like

Forgot to post this but we made the repo public so yall can see the dev progress going on in real time :sunglasses: GitHub - ampersoftware/Team-Fortress-Source-2: The code for Team Fortress: Source 2 gamemode, built using s&box.

2 Likes