Tell me how to fix this. happens every goddamn time I install this stupid game

OK, so…

Every time I install garrysmod I kinda expect it to work, you know that really seems like something it would do and be designed to do, right? I mean it only makes sense cause you don’t want people complaining or anything, right?

It works for a while, everything goes fine, I’m happy. But then after I install a few addons and keep playing it for a while, eventually it starts up to a black screen. I say to this “well hell, I’ll just use the console even though I can’t see anything” and I type in “map gm_construct” and that works just fine, the black screen goes away once the map finishes loading. But a number of similar startups after this, when I walk over the water in construct the reflections mess up.

After that happens, things like this start to happen in other maps:

There’s supposed to be water and displacements there, oh and a lamp thing, I wonder where they might have gone…

A few startups after this I expect my game to crash on every startup with “failed to lock dx8 mesh buffer” or whatever the hell that error is that happens every time. it happens when the game is in the “creating render targets” phase of loading I think.

I’ve been trying to fix this for at least years now without having to buy a new computer but nothing seems to be working at all. I was wondering what other people think might be wrong and what I could do about it.

at the moment maps like construct and flatgrass work just fine I think, I tried removing some addons but it didn’t seem to fix anything, last night this was working PERFECTLY FINE and I even played this very same map the very same way except this time it didn’t work.

Also if I try to install wiremod at all it does the dx8 mesh buffer error thing.

My ultimate goal is to start garrysmod up with all of my wanted addons intact and usable and with my video settings at the desired levels just like I used to be able to before this pointless crap started happening. And I really hope I don’t have to buy a new computer for that.

My computer’s statistics are (since I forgot to put them in the first place I’m editing them in):

Also just ignore the thread title, the more I look at it, the more I realize it makes me look retarded (I was really angry and not really thinking at the time)

SO did you actually buy the game

Yes.

And now you can even click my little steam icon thingy under my name here to find out.

I probably should have chosen a better thread title, but if it wasn’t obvious I was a little bit angry.

whats your gpu, seeing you run gmod in dx8 instead of 9

Post full specifications of your system then we can diagnose the problem.

Oh i forgot that :V

Yeah let’s see here:

Windows XP SP3
Intel Pentium 4 CPU (3.00 GHz) (Dualcore if that matters at all, which I assume it doesn’t)
1.0 GB RAM
ATI Radeon X300/550/1050 Series

Taken pretty much verbatim from the CCleaner quick overview thing

Sorry I didn’t just do this in the first place, it just slipped my mind.

By the way I DO run garrysmod in DX9 mode, but it still gave me that DX8 error when it was crashing those times.

Try doing -dxlevel 81

I doubt your processor is dual core, it just has two threads (Pentium D is dual core). Did you try updating your video drivers? I am going to go on a wild guess and say that the newer versions of source are incompatible with old hardware, because from my experience with old integrated graphics cards, CS:S(Before the engine update) ran better than Half-Life 2: Episode 2 on a 6150SE because EP2 used a newer engine. Your best bet will be “-dxlevel 81” in the launch options.

The thing is that when it starts getting worse, not even -dxlevel 80 or 81 will stop it from crashing on startup and I have no idea why that would be…

But I guess it’s a good temporary fix for now. I’ll see if it works.

Get a better machine ?