Tessellation/displacement maps in source 2? Anyone got that working?

Title. I know it works (since Sam said it does), but has anyone put that in Source 2? afaik, it doesn’t work with Alyx or at least, the alyx vmat tools don’t let you apply displacement/tessellation materials.

1 Like

parallax occlusion works, idk what everyone’s on about

it’s also a dedicated shader

1 Like

is parallax occlusion the thing where it actually raises the surface? Or the thing where it just makes shadows to create the illusion of a raised surface, like normal mapping.

1 Like

Parallax occlusion looks like this

The effect falls apart really easily if you’re not careful, though, both in where you use it and how extreme you make the effect. As you can see, there’s a stark difference between the hexes and the rest of the floor. protruding trims would probably help a lot.

2 Likes

DX11 supports it, so there’s no reason why you couldn’t make a hull / domain shader and link it up and compile into a material.

1 Like

So, it does actually raise the material? That’s probably what I’m talking about then.

1 Like

Parallax is a purely fake effect, it doesn’t raise any geometry although there is a version of parallax mapping that has valley clipping so it looks fully 3d, and even more so the one used in crysis 2 or 3 I believe was even better, but it didn’t work so good on curved geometry so yeah, limitations…

2 Likes

This is what I mean. All of this as a material using displacement maps to raise the shit up. UE4, UE5, Unity, fuckin… everything has it, even Source 1 technically.

1 Like

He wants industry standard displacement maps like, UE4, Unity, and most other semi modern engines.

They likely do not have a Shader that exposes this functionality. That being said I would imagine that it is somewhere in the engine. Tessellation is expensive though and in the games valve has been making they have not been all that necessary or they would be too taxing to actually use. HL:A almost certainly was the latter.

Sam said they do, but I’m not 100% sure we were both talking about the same thing.

Makes sense, since technically source 1 supported this, you just couldn’t use it on DX9

They might internally, that being said having it internally and packaging it with the build of the game is not the same thing.

Yeah. I mean, it’s a modern engine. i’ve got little reason to assume source 2 doesn’t support it.