Text is blocked - literally! All letters are squares instead of text. Any ideas why? Thanks!

When I click on Play for Rust, the instructional part loads up but I cannot read it. All of the letters (text) are blocks! Each letter is a block/square of a different size: tall thin ones, short blocky ones - depends on the letter, I assume.

I managed to click on what I thought was a server (guessed correctly) & Rust did eventually load but the text in-game is this way as well. I can’t read anything. I even have to Force Quit the game because I can’t figure out which button is the Quit one. lol

I’m playing on an iMac OSX 10.9.5 (Mavericks), ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB w/Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Any ideas on what is causing this and what I can do to fix it, would be very helpful. Thank you!! :slight_smile:

P.S. I’ve never seen this happen before with any game I’ve ever played. It’s a puzzle.

I don’t really know what I’m talking about, but it sounds like missing fonts. Is this the first time you’ve played rust?

First step: try verifying the game cache within your steam library.

http://foxcock.me/web/images/ShareX/2016_04/2016-04-25_23-00-24.png

http://foxcock.me/web/images/ShareX/2016_04/2016-04-25_23-00-49.png

Thanks for your response and suggestion.

I think I went online with the game for a minute or two, 3-4 years ago. Didn’t like it, so didn’t play it. Saw it was updated and really changed a lot, so decided to re-visit it.

I did what you suggested, verified game. Went to Play it…nope, font is still “missing”. You may be right, though. The text is there, it’s just not loading the proper font (well, any font). lol

what language are you using?

I’m using English.

damn. it was a longshot, but might have been unrecognized characters in another language pack.

lol Good thought, though! I deleted the game and am re-installing it right now. Maybe something as simple as that will work the second time around. I’ll know in about 8 minutes. crosses fingers

[editline]25th April 2016[/editline]

Darn, Re-installment didn’t work. Text is still blocks.

What are you using to open documents by default it may be set to the wrong program

Open documents? You mean Pages (remember, I’m on an iMac)? But, what has that to do with a game? I don’t follow.