texture issue

im making a map using the textures of buttes (please don’t flame me about asking if i can use them, as the map will not be released to the public, only for singleplayer) and whenever i compile the map it errors saying that its missing the textures. i was wondering where i should put the textures so it would recognize them (also, if they could be in the texture browser for later use) and compile the map correctly. thank you.

under a file called materials, if there isn’t one, make it.

Well thats not a lot of info.

Textures(.vtf) and Materials(.vmt) should be in your materials\path\path folder

The .vmt should have something like

LightmappedGeneric
{
"$basetexture" "Example\path	exture"
}

Your texture+material should be in game\materials\Example\path.

so, source sdk being the game…?

No.
The game you are using sdk for.

i.e.
Half-Life2: Episode 2
Half-Life2: Epidode 1
Half-Life2
Portal
Team Fortress 2
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2, ect…

right now i have the materials in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps(my account name)\half-life 2\hl2\materials\SDK\

it still wont compile correctly and doesnt show up in the browser

[editline]07:53PM[/editline]

anyone? ive copied the vtf and vmt files into the above directory and it still will not compile.

P.S. when i compile, it not only says im missing the materials i did copy but also some that arent in the buttes addon but say thats where they are from. are they hidden?

???

Pate the .vmt in code tags. It can be opened in notepad

In the VMT, your texture/textures should look like this if it’s in a folder inside the materials folder:

“LightmappedGeneric”
{
“$basetexture” “SDK/texturename”
“$surfaceprop” “concrete/metal/carpet etc.”
}

Replace the “texturename” part with the name of your texture obviously, and the surfaceprop thing to whatever you want that to be. Then copy/paste in the .vmt file and try it.