Texture lighting help.

I’m trying to get an effect similar to $reflectivity but you can select areas of the texture that light up easier, kinda like using a mask. Anyone know how to do this?

$selfillumtexture White is bright black is not.

What I suggest is if the picture is like a logo, and you want only one part to glow, do this:

Separate the part you want to glow from the original image. Have the original image be a different texture from the “glow” texture.

So once you’ve separated the glow texture and the matte texture, have the glow texture settings include $selfillumtexture. There should be no background on the glow image unless that’s a part you want to glow, everything else should be transparent.

Place the glow texture as a thin layer over the matte texture in hammer. Now you’ll have the appearance of light coming from only the glow part.

Yea I’ve heard of $selfillum, and you seem to get what I’m looking for, but that’s not exactly it. I’m not looking for a changeable brightness that changes with whatever light shines at it, not a permanent, unchangeable glow.

For instance, if there’s no light shining at this texture, the less reflective part should have a brightness of 0 and the more reflective part should have a brightness of 0. This means the texture is completely black.

Now if there was some light shining at this texture, the less reflective part should have a brightness of 10 and the more reflective part should have a brightness of 20. That means one part of the texture is brighter than the other.

Now if there was even more light shining at this texture, the less reflective part should have a brightness of 20 and the more reflective part should have a brightness of 40. Catch my drift?

see this thread: “road paint texture reflection” - http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1101696-Road-Paint-Texture

whoa, i remember this. thanks for referring him to my post ^^