Texture Question : Scrolling textures with only base texture.

The only textures that I have seen which scrolled, have used multiple images where only the bump map was used as the scrolling texture.

The vmt for the most recent scrolling texture I recently seen was :

"GooInGlass"
{
	"$basetexture" "shadertest/GooInGlass"
	"$envmap" "shadertest/GooInGlass_env"
	"$bumpmap" "shadertest/GooInGlass_normal"
	"$surfaceprop" "glass"
	"$envmaptint" "[ 1.00 1.00 1.00 ]"
	"$glassenvmap" "shadertest/GooInGlass_envglass"
	"$glassenvmaptint" "[ 1.00 1.00 1.00 ]"

"Proxies"
	{
		"TextureScroll"
		{
			"texturescrollvar" "$bumptransform"
			"texturescrollrate" 0.20
			"texturescrollangle" 60
		}
	}
}

I’m trying to take this image:

and make it scroll in a random direction.

Try changing

"texturescrollrate" 0.20

to

"texturescrollrate" "0.20"

and change “gooinglass” to “refract”.

and if that doesn’t work, I usually use

"refract"
{
"$model" "1"
"$bluramount" "1"
"$surfaceprop" "Water"
"$refractamount" ".100"
"$scale" "[1 1]"
"$normalmap" "vesi_normal"
"$dudvmap" "vesi_dudv"
"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
"$envmaptint" "[.7 .7 .7]"
"$REFRACTTINTTEXTURE" "vesi"

"Proxies"
   {
      "TextureScroll"
      {
         "texturescrollvar" "$bumptransform"
         "texturescrollrate" 3
         "texturescrollangle" -90
      }
   }

}

Seems like that “vesi” -texture isn’t from you.

I didn’t say I made it, I said I used it.

But my problem is transforming a simple texture with only a base, into a scrolling texture, where the base texture is what scrolls.

Also, as a disclaimer, after noticing that I had recieved an “artistic” I have to say that the image presented is a sprite from earthbound, I have not made it. But I would like to use it as a crucial element of my boss fight built in hammer.

I’m not sure what you are trying to do. Are you trying to make just the base texture scroll or the whole thing?
If it’s just the base texture you are looking to transform you need to change your texturescrollvar from $bumptransform to $basetexturetransform
As for scrolling the whole thing, I’m not entirely sure. You may need to add another TextureScroll proxy or you may be able to have both $bumptransform and $basetexturetransform under texturescrollvar.

I should also point out at this stage that I don’t think your specular map will work as you already have a bumpmap on that material. If you wish to add an envmapmask to your material with a bumpmap you will need to add that mask into the alpha channel of your bumpmap and add the $normalmapalphaenvmapmask parameter. Also I think your $envmap should probably be set to env_cubemap and you may want to edit the values of your $envmaptint as having all RGB values set to 1 generally looks rather horrible.

Thanks, I don’t even know why I shown the vmf for an irrelevant material to mine, but this is exactly what I need, thank you!