TF2 Multiple skins for TF2 model

Im trying to get a model to have multiple skins, problem is that the VMTs I made are not working. would the VMT need to be fully filled out in order to work?

Yes the VMTs for every skin need to be fully filled out, you may not have the right filepath in the QC so make sure you check that as well. Other than that you haven’t given a lot of detail so if your still having problems give us more details.

ok, so if I have a VMT thats only linked to the VTF and the normal VTF, would I just copy the code from the VMTs that came with the model?
Code example of original Im making skins for

"VertexLitGeneric"
{
	"$basetexture" "models/player/nfro/nfrotex_red"
	"$bumpmap" "models/player/nfro/nfrotex_normal"
	"$detail" "effects/tiledfire/fireLayeredSlowTiled512.vtf"	
	"$detailscale" "5"
	"$detailblendfactor" 0.0
	"$detailblendmode" 6

"$yellow" "0"
	"$one" "1"

"$phong" "1"
	"$phongexponent" "25"
	"$phongboost" ".5"	
	"$lightwarptexture" "models/player/nfro/nfro_lightwarp"
	"$phongfresnelranges"	"[2 1 5]"
	"$halflambert" "1"

// Rim lighting parameters
	"$rimlight" "1"												// To enable rim lighting (requires phong)
	"$rimlightexponent" "2"										// Exponent for phong component of rim lighting	
	"$rimlightboost" "2"										// Boost for ambient cube component of rim lighting

// Cloaking
	"$cloakPassEnabled" "1"

"360?$color2" "[ 0.75 0.75 0.7 ]"

"Proxies"
	{
		"spy_invis"
		{
		}
		"AnimatedTexture"
		{
			"animatedtexturevar" "$detail"
			"animatedtextureframenumvar" "$detailframe"
			"animatedtextureframerate" 30
		}
		"BurnLevel"
		{
			"resultVar" "$detailblendfactor"
		}
		"YellowLevel"
		{
			"resultVar" "$yellow"
		}
		"Add"
		{
			"srcVar1"  "$yellow"
			"srcVar2"  "$one"
			"resultVar" "$color2[0]"
		}
		"Add"
		{
			"srcVar1"  "$yellow"
			"srcVar2"  "$one"
			"resultVar" "$color2[1]"
		}
	}
}

Then take whats needed and paste it with the rest?

"LightmappedGeneric"
{
	"$basetexture" "models/player/nfro/nfrotex_ice"
	"$bumpmap" "models/player/nfro/nfrotex_normal"
	"$translucent" 1
}

Tehnically the VMTs can be different for every single skin they just need to be functional, what exactly is the problem you’re having?

did you actually add the texturegroup to the model?

To Drifty: The problem is the VMT doesnt fill out everything like the Valve files for Half Life 2 and TF2 are. Ive only really worked with VTF files and not so much the VMTs.

To wraithcar: Its been a long time since I made skins without editing the VMTs, so I basicly I have no idea how to do that.

You’re not giving us enough detail and i have no idea what you’re on about, walk us through everything you’ve done so far up until you encountered the problem then describe the problem in detail. I’d love to help you but you aren’t giving me any information, you just keep saying GUYS IT BROKE HOW FIX!?!?!?!?!?!

When I made the skins and VMTs, the models has the black and purple (No Material) for the model and as #3 in this topic has on the bottem of it was all that I basicly have for the VMT codes for the additional VMTs. That is the current issue of my situation.