The answer to the question: why does Rust lag?

It all lies in the engine of RUST itself and in the level of curvature of the Facepunch arms.

First you need to understand what the engine is and where the legs grow from.
The engine in the usual sense of the word is just a set of tools and a restriction on their use.

As an example, you cannot use a Phillips screwdriver to use a flat bolt.

Facepunch initially chose the free public Unity for their project as a beggar studio in 2013, which is a great choice for games without a budget and all other indie projects.

Unity at the time of 2013 was based on the DirectX 11 and OpenGL versions of the API that were current at that time.
Due to the peculiarities of frame construction in DirectX 11, we have the fact that with a huge number of objects in the frame and / or high details, they cannot be quickly built and sent for rendering by 1 mathematical processor core.

This is where the roots of all problems grow.

Problem # 1:
Facepunch on a rocket arrived from a fired project, they decided to redraw the game for modern realities, hammering on the limitations of the engine, which rests on the features of building a frame with 1 core and wildly overestimated the number of draw calls in a frame at one point in time.
Because of this, multi-core processors work extremely ineffectively at the level of their younger 2-4 nuclear counterparts.

Problem # 2:
It is IMPOSSIBLE to solve these restrictions.
No amount of HDRP will save RUST.
To transfer the game to a new engine with a more adequate frame construction, for example DirectX12, or to the most modern Vulkan at the moment, you need to actually write the game from scratch !!!

To understand the full size of the work for this rather ambitious update, try the following:

Assemble a stool using wood and glue, and then take such a stool, disassemble and try to assemble a new stool from pieces of wood and nails.
In fact, you have created a new stool.

Everything is exactly the same with game development.

Facepunch is more profitable to invest in the creation of a new game, albeit under the RUST 2 brand, and collect the cash register twice, than to pick the actual dead, ending the life cycle of the old RUST project.
Outcomes:

You need to understand that RUST will never run normally on weak processors and work efficiently on multi-cores.
No update can fix this jamb, which was originally laid down in 2013 and brought to the absolute much later.

We just have to play what they give us and wait for Facepunch to decide to release RUST2 from scratch, laying a high-quality foundation using modern development tools.

I don’t understand your point…

Rust runs perfectly fine for me. Have you considered that your computer may just be dogshit and can’t run Rust? Also depending on the servers you play on, they could be not investing enough in the right hardware to run the server.

2 Likes

I’d rather buy a game once and get constant new content for the game ( in this case it’s for free ) than buying a sequel over and over.

Thats what this post is pointing out, Your pc runs Rust fine because you have a strong single-cores in your cpu.

A bad computer should be able to run rust if it was just allowed to use its multiple cores but it can’t due to the restrictions of rusts game-engine as you can see In the first photo.

@alpha1 I like the stool example. There is only so much you can optimize something until you just simply need to adapt and upgrade. I guess it would have to be a background project but In 2 years you could have a brand new rust ready for the next Decade. But Im guessing facepunch has a large Todo list and this just isnt it :\

What a pity that your brain is unable to understand the message of this message. This is primarily about the technical state of the game, so farts about my weak hardware are not appropriate.

There is no magic optimization, there is only a well-tuned pipeline. After all, even from DritectX 11 you can squeeze good multi-core, as an example of Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six, in which, surprisingly, with DX11, excellent multithreading, which can properly load Ryzen 7. In Rust, this same pipeline remained at the level of 2013, when using 4 nuclear processors were relevant. The situation worsened significantly in 2017, when Rust switched to a new wretched graphics, in 2021 with flawed new graphics that were simply copied from the excellent one, from 2016, it got EVEN worse. Facepunch sits back, chopping up more and more twitch drops, hamsters will devour.

1 Like

Personally, for having played Rust a few years ago and for having compared the performances with the current versions, I find that the performances haven’t really changed and it’s quite regular that I hear that “Rust lags too much, blah, blah”. Even if I am convinced that the developers are doing their best to make the game more stable and efficient, I find the result unsatisfactory. Other people don’t have many problems with more muscular configurations but for 3/4 year old configurations, it’s really not fun.

Developers will make new Twitch drops and they will all gobble up, nothing new

No, every time there is a big update, they add new things like new structures, they tweak things, etc. You can see the result with the blogs, it’s still a very good job on this side.

yeah, they can’t set up for 6 years, can you tell more fucking stories?