The Infection

[release]

The Infection (idea by Sunday_Roast (http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=821416) (note that the gamemode has been renamed from The Disease to The Infection)

[/release]
[release]

HUD DESIGNER

I really need someone to do the HUD for this. I’m not good at doing stuff like the HUD, and I’m not good at making good-looking HUDs. Contact me for more info.[/release]
[release]

MEDIA AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST... Sorry for the wall of text!

[/release]
[release]About
[release]Summary
In this gamemode, one person is chosen to have a disease (that turns people into zombies). They want to infect as many people as possible before a certain time. At that time, they turn into a full blown zombie (as do every other person who is infected), and many NPC zombies appear. Survivors will then have to hold out until a certain time, at which they have to fight to an extraction point.[/release]
[release]Gameplay
First of all, every player has hunger, thirst, and a need to sleep. There will be food, water, and places to sleep everywhere around the map in addition to people being able to buy/sell food/water. If your hunger/thirst becomes too great, you die. If your sleep runs out, you will go to sleep right where you are standing, and it will take longer. Note that you can only sleep otherwise on a bed.

Every player has an infection bar, showing how much of the infection they have caught. When it gets to the top, they become infected. This is true for ALL stages (see below).

There are also basic jobs. At the beginning of a round, you choose a job. These will NOT be like RP jobs. In The Infection, jobs basically just give you one or two extra skills (craftsman can make hammer/nails, doctor can make medpacks and eventually shots that get rid of the infection… See listing below).

Weapons will be in the game, though if you kill someone other than the infected you will get a penalty (what that will be is yet to be determined).

Finally: Barricading. All around the map there will be things like wood planks, scrap metal, and all sorts of other things. You can use these to make barricades to keep people (or zombies/infected) out. Note that you will need a pretty large supply of water/food in the area. You will have a Physics Gun, but you will not be able to freeze things. Instead, you must buy a hammer and nails for wooden props, or a welder for metal props.

The game is divided up into internal ‘stages’. Each stage has different objectives and gameplay. Note that you are never told when you are moving into a new stage, nor are you told what the current stage is. The stage system just makes it easier to understand the flow of the game, as well as being used in the code itsself. The stage listing is below.

Note that there is a money system, but you get no income except for winning a round. Also, all materials can be made into something by a craftsman, but none can be bought from the game itsself. The economy of the game is strictly run by players (except for a trading system between players).
[release]Stage 1: The Sickness
In this stage, not a single person has been infected. Take the time to gather food, water, and materials to build barricades as well as to find a house or cave or something to stay in (unless you want to try to survive in the open world). If you die in this stage, you will respawn normally.[/release]
[release]Stage 2: The Infection
At the beginning of this stage, one person is chosen as the infected. Their objective is to infect everyone else (or kill them). If you die in this stage, you will respawn as an infected person. If you do become infected, you must help the original infected person. Signs of the infection include:
-Coughing (everyone coughs, but the infected will cough more often)
-Vomiting
-Needing less food/water/sleep than others
The infected can try to infect others by staying around them for a while, or by attacking them with a melee weapon. If the original infected person dies without infecting anyone else, they will respawn normally and a new infected will be chosen. If everyone is infected, the infected win and the game resets.[/release]
[release]Stage 3: The Epidemic
SURVIVAL! Any remaining survivors must survive for a set amount of time. Many zombie NPCs spawn, and all infected turn into zombies. If you die, you become a zombie.[/release]
[release]Final Stage (Stage 4): The Extermination
This stage is based off Zombie Escape from CS:S ZombieMod (Zombie Escape is normal ZombieMod, but the map is set up so that if the Humans get to the end, all of the zombies are killed, ending the round). All survivors have to run through a hoard of zombies to get to an extraction point, where they will be taken away while the Army bombs the place.[/release]
[release]Random Events/Other Events
[ul]
[li]Air-Drop Rations: In stage 3, the Army will air-drop rations to your position (outside houses of course) if you find a radio.[/li][li]Army Attack: In stage 2 and 3, the Army might just send some soldiers to help, though they will attack you if they see you and you aren’t inside a specified area. Going to that area will also lower your infection.[/li][/ul][/release]
[release]Jobs
[ul]
[li]Craftsman: Can create hammers from wood and nails from metal.[/li][li]Doctor: Can create medpacks. In stage 2-4 doctors can try to research a shot to lower your infection bar. The shot may or may not work, and sometimes (very rarely) it may kill you. It also has a 25% chance of curing someone who is fully infected.[/li][li]Gunsmith: Can create guns and ammo from wood and metal.[/li][li]Militant: The most basic job. Moves slightly faster than everyone else and has slightly higher firepower and earns slightly more money when a round is won.[/li][li]NOTE: Welders cannot be created. They can only be found.[/li][/ul][/release][/release][/release]
[release]Q and A
When do you expect to release this?
Not for a long time. Not for a very long time.

Who are you?
I am the lead coder.

OMG THIS IS GUNA BE ANOTH3R ZOMBIE GAM WTF!!!11!!!1!!
…What?

This is stupid. This is going to be another generic zombie game, isn’t it?
Much better. No, it won’t. This is more of a mix of a lot of different things. Yes, the last two stages are basically generic zombie games, but the first stage is a build-type game and the second stage is a lot like the gamemode Parasyte.

Oh no. Jobs and Money. Not another RP!
The only RP aspect to it is the jobs. All the jobs even do is allow you to create things. The money is there so that people have a reason to create stuff for other people. Everyone needs tools and guns, helping the Craftsman and Gunsmith. Everyone also wants medpacks, which helps the Doctor. People could even pay the Militant some cash to guard them.

<insert badly phrased/stupid question here>
Again… What?

Ask me any other questions by PM or by posting here.[/release]
[release]Extra Features that weren’t mentioned above
[ul]
[li]Database Bans - If a superadmin bans a player, their data is still in the server. Database banning (used by running the command DBBan will ban them, and remove their saved data (money). It will also log the ban in a different part of the files, though it will not log their data, so it is lost forever. This should be used as a punishment, though not instead of the normal ban commands (unless you are perm banning them)[/li][/ul][/release]
[release]Team:
[ul]
[li]Redx475 - Lead Coder/Website Designer/Head of Project/Mapper (if needed)[/li][li]Companion Cube/jakegadget - SWEP Lua Coder[/li][li]Madurjafro - Mapper (lost all his work due to a virus or somethin…)[/li][/ul]

I need MAPPERS and CODERS to help on this project! Post here or PM me to join.

Coders should be able to do any of these:
[ul]
[li]Make SWEPS[/li][li]Make SNPCs[/li][li]Make SENTs[/li][li]General Gamemode programming (to help out)[/li][/ul]
Mappers should be able to do displacement maps, triggers, and pretty much just be good at Hammer.[/release]
[release]Tasks/Bugs
Finished:
[ul]
[li]Money system/SQL Database[/li][li]STOP! It’s hammer/welder time![/li][li]Core Logic[/li][li]Zombie Melee Weapon[/li][li]Needs (food/water)[/li][li]Gun buying system[/li][li]Most of the HUD[/li][li]Mapping entities[/li][li]Stage 4 goal system[/li][/ul]
Unfinished:
[ul]
[li]Jobs (Not very important right now)[/li][li]Bug Fixing[/li][/ul]
Bugs:
[ul]
[li]None known. Not enough of the gamemode done to test.[/li][/ul]
NOTE: This is the very beginning of a long project. Please don’t flame on the fact that there is nothing for me to show.[/release]
[release]

I am really going to need someone to model/make textures for weapons!

[/release]
[release]Mapping FGD

//The Infection FGD for the Valve Hammer Map Editor

@PointClass color( 255 255 0 ) = infect_control :
"The Infection gamemode controller. Only allow one of these per map!" +
"This will allow you to use inputs/outputs to change things in the map" +
"based on the stage."
[
	EscActivator(target_destination) : "Escape Target" : : "Entity to call an output on in the escape stage"
	EscOutput(string) : "Escape Output" : : "The output name that will be used when we switch to the escape stage"
	EscDelay(integer) : "Escape Delay" : 0 : "The delay in seconds that will be used before calling the output"

ResActivator(target_destination) : "Reset Target" : : "Entity to call an output on when a new round starts"
	ResOutput(string) : "Reset Output" : : "The output name that will be used when a new round starts"
	ResDelay(integer) : "Reset Delay" : 0 : "The delay in seconds that will be used before calling the output"

]

@PointClass color( 255 255 0 ) = infect_needsspawn :
"The Infection Needs system spawnpoint. Place ABOVE the ground"
[
]

@PointClass color( 255 255 0 ) = infect_propspawn :
"The Infection Prop spawnpoint. Place ABOVE the ground"
[
]

@SolidClass color( 255 255 0 ) = infect_trigger_goal :
"The Stage Four Goal. Use like you would a trigger, and place" +
"it in the safe area."
[
]

Take that code, put it in an FGD file, add it to hammer, and you can now map for The Infection!
Due to restrictions (and my inability to find anything on adding outputs), the normal Input/Output system won’t work completely. Here is an explanation on how to use each entity:
[release]infect_control
There should only be one of these on a map.
infect_control allows interaction between the map and the gamemode, but due to restrictions (and my inability to find anything on adding outputs), the normal Input/Output system won’t work completely. I have made a workaround, which is included in the code and above FGD. Here is how you use it:

EscActivator/Escape Target: Select the entity that you want The Infection to send an output to when the stage changes to the Escape stage
EscOutput/Escape Output: The name of the output The Infection should call
EscDelay/Escape Delay: The delay in seconds before the output should be called

ResActivator/Reset Target: Select the entity that you want The Infection to send an output to when a new round starts
ResOutput/Reset Output: The name of the output The Infection should call
ResDelay/Reset Delay: The delay in seconds before the output should be called

[/release]
[release]infect_needsspawn
A very simple entity. Food and water (water bottle and orange) will spawn here (as defined in needs.lua). Make sure this is above the ground by a lot.[/release]
[release]infect_propspawn
Another simple entity. Random props will spawn here (as defined in propreg.lua). Again, this must be above the ground by a lot.[/release][/release]
[release]Twitter Updates
I have created a twitter account for this project (www.twitter.com/InfectSVN) that auto-tweets each time I commit a change. Not too useful right now (since it is unreleased), but who knows?[/release]
[release]

LICENSE

The Infection is currently under a temporary license to prevent leaking during the development phase. It is under my own RedxDev Non-Public Software License (http://gameavengers.net/RXD/licenses/non-pub/rxd-np-li.html). It will be moved to a much less restrictive creative commons after development is done.[/release]
[release]

MEDIA: YAY!

I finally have some media from the gamemode, though not much. All I can show is the HUD so far, as there isn’t anything else to show (not everything has been tested yet).
NOTE: Images may take a while to load!

http://gameavengers.net/RXD/img/infect_testmap-hud01.JPG[/media]
[media]http://gameavengers.net/RXD/img/infect_testmap-gunshop01.JPG
[/release]

I like the general idea, though the infection method seems a bit overly complex. If that’s how you want it though, go right ahead.

It also seems like a generally difficult mod to create in general, although with time, you could certainly make it. Good luck, and I’d play it, at least to try it.

You don’t post content, yet ask for people to script some sweps, sents, and snpcs.
If you are the main coder, how come you don’t know how to make a simple swep?

This isn’t a WIP, it’s basically http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=821416 with better organization.

I made this thread to show all the ideas I’m putting into use. Also, I know how to do sweps. I never said I didn’t. I’m just not good at them. I can do everything else fine. This also IS a wip, since it is a Work In Progress. I do actually have code done, though not much of it. I don’t have any content to show because there is nothing to show. As I said, I don’t have much done in terms of code. Also, there is nothing that says you have to be almost completed or something to post a WIP, is there?

@Morcam: I know this will take a while. I’ll find time.

EDIT:
Now that I’ve put up that I want help with the actual gamemode programming, do you want to flame me on that too? Is it too much to ask for some help with coding a large gamemode? As Morcam said, this is going to take a while. I don’t plan to spend a year or even 6 months on this.

Update: This isn’t taking nearly as long as I thought. It should be done this week.

Sexy. I would make a map (for the fun of it) but I’m using the EP1 engine… unless i make a map on that then get somebody to make a carbon copy of it on the EP2 engine.

Umm… You know Hammer is only one program, so if you make a map and send the VMF to me, I can recompile it with the Orangebox engine and put in any extra entities (I haven’t made a list of them yet, but I will).

Hammer can read any map under any config. Just make sure spawn points are info_player_starts and try to not use any textures/models from games other than HL2 (if you have to, use CS:S textures as well).

This sounds like a promising gamemode. I would like to help if possible. I have been working with Lua for a long time, just never gotten around to ever releasing anything. I can do both gamemode and Sweps/Sents. If you want any proof I can work something out for you. I’ll PM you my Steam and you can tell me the kind of things you would need me to do.

Yeah. Please PM me your steam username. I may need someone to do sweps at one point (possibly sents, but I need to work those Into the core of the gamemode). I will need an example from you (if you can’t find a good model then just use the magnum or something). Contact me for more details.

EDIT:
Got your pm! (btw: sending this from ma iPhone… Epic win!)

I am pleased to announce the newest member of The Infection team:
Companion Cube/jakegadget

EDIT:
Damn… no automerge…

Fuck it I’ll make the map and use the dev texures :D. just depends on how big you want it and how many houses you would like (or shacks plus a couple of caves)

This sounds awesome.

The food and water thing seems kind of annoying to me.

Oh please don’t use dev textures… I don’t want to have to do the texturing myself… I suck at that. Just use the HL2 and CS:S textures… there should be enough there. About the houses: Can you make a few large ones, a few small shacks, and a couple of caves? Also, there will be a bunch of special entities that I will be using, so I will send you the FGD sometime in the future. One last thing: Can you possibly make an area that would be walled off (the entrance to an army base) which includes a func_door and behind it be a large forest and a small bunker? It is my idea for the escape part. One of my entities will trigger the door opening, so don’t worry about that.

@Red Toaster: The food/water thing won’t be too bad. Just find a bunch of food/water and stick it where you will be barricade. Also, this forces people to go around collecting resources. They can’t barricade right at the beginning unless they want to die very quickly.

EDIT:
Note that the infected will not need food/water

EDIT 2:
Okay, I am not using sleep… It would make it way too hard.

Oh man I had allready forgot this.
But it’s damn nice for you to move on with this idea.
Besides I’m quite busy planning a L4D2 mod (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/L2Dmod).

But thanks and best of luck.

Thanks Sunday_Roast! Thanks for your comment, and for the awesome idea!

Hmm, sounds like a fun gamemode. Also, for maps, heh, you could modify a pre-existing RP map as a temporary solution.

No, we can’t use RP maps without editing them a LOT. There has to be a town, and also an area that is closed off until the last stage that will lead to a zombie escape area.

UPDATE: Added FGD and mapping entities.

[editline]05:01PM[/editline]

Another update: Edited FGD

Another Edit:
I have started debugging!!! And wow, my first post is looooooong…

Ok, ok. I’m now unofficialy on your team, thats if i ever get around to making a map ^^
oh yeah thanks for the ideas, btw I’m going to make the map pretty large. (starting at the a corner and working my way around)