The Key Queue Was (Probably) a Mistake

Let me get this out of the way real quick, I’m not begging for a key nor am I begging to be put higher up in the queue. I’ve never really made a workshop mod at all anyway so I’d just be an A-hole if I were, and even if I did make a mod I personally wouldn’t mind waiting anyway.

No, I’m talking about how much the key queue has stirred up quite a bit of crap during the first few days of it being active. Of course there’s already been a lot more than a few people who want access to the next GMod successor, even before the queue was a thing, though it’s made been worse due to the queue, and while that might seem very obvious. Bottom line is, it’s causing the community to go up in arms. Whether it’s against the system or against facepunch and Garry Newman as a whole, even causing scuffles between other developers wanting access to the game. And that’s the part I’m most worried about. If anything, I feel like if they hadn’t released the developer preview with the queue and everything, and they just left it so that only a few trusted people could get a key from both the forums (With proof and experience), and from some other obligations or what have you. They’d still be able to get feedback from them anyway I feel.

And sure I get it, if you make a popular mod, you get a higher position, not everyone can be a dev, blah blah you know the drill. But recently I saw a forum of a Gmod modding dev who deleted their mods a while ago due to the toxic side of the GMod community apparantly, only to be put in a crappier place in the queue due to that. And there’s most likely other flaws to the system I’m unaware about from past experiences, to Github, to switching from lua to C# (Which probably isn’t too much of a big deal but I can see some groups of people being angry about that), to some other voodoo computer magic that goes on with it.

Again, I personally don’t mind waiting, but I know that not everyone really feels the same way. And I feel like it’s starting to create the next toxic GMod community too. Now this is just my thoughts on the matter, I’ve probably missed a bunch of stuff or got things very wrong. But maybe someone on here will clear things up, maybe it’s not as bad as I think, or maybe there is something larger to worry about for the future of S&Box. One thing’s for certain though, the key queue was (probably) a mistake…

Let me, and everyone know what yous all think about this in the comments, please try to keep things respectable if possible. Thanks for your guy’s understanding. : P

13 Likes

I completely agree, the thing is though, I don’t think Garry has any idea on how to get keys more quickly without breaking flow from the people who are currently working on it(referring to griefers mostly).

I’m sure we can have a better system than this tho.

3 Likes

I would say that’s probably another reason why the queue was a mistake then, since practically everyone besides devs would come want play it early. Which of course includes the griefers like yous said.

If there is a possible way to change or otherwise create a new system for people get gain access without making every person including their dog try and get one (Which sounds challenging to do but who knows), then maybe things will be a bit better then. : V

3 Likes

I also agree with you, I think that queue was rushed and it should be better thought. There should be more factors than only popularity of your GMod mods. Personally I think queue should take in consideration every mod for source games (ex. CS:GO, Nuclear Dawn), GMod hours and forum engagement. It should be well calculated so hours in GMod doesn’t equals mods popularity. I think that there are many people that are on an end of queue because their score is 1 just because they deleted their content or made it for other source game.

8 Likes

That sounds like a better system, only thing would probably be how much time they’d have to make it and how complicated the calculations would be a little bit. Though then again I’m sure Garry and his team would be capable of doing this if given the chance or freetime.

4 Likes

I know it can be hard on their end to balance it and make necessary calculations, but I think that it would help a lot them and S&Box community. When i heard about those key on youtube i heard it would take them a week but it all started about 2 or 3 days since the video so I think someone may publicated this system too early on an accident and it wasn’t finished and now they are trying to fix it without changing too much. Queue was fixed a little bit and I think that it’s never too late to make it better and change it completely.

Video I’m talking about: What To Expect From S&box "Open Beta" - YouTube

3 Likes

In that case, hopefully we’ll start to see more improvements with the queue then. Along with some things on the next devlog on what’s happening with that.

2 Likes

This is absolutely pathetic, those so-called “developers” had 4 months to get themselves in the closed beta, all they had to do was ask. Get over yourselves, your time will come; if it doesn’t before the game release:

8 Likes

Agreed

1 Like

Could’ve worded it a tad bit differently but yeah I guess, then again they could be devs who just learned about the game and are now wanting access to it but seems like a bit of a reach really. : P

2 Likes

Even if that’s the case I would make the argument that it’s better to give them to those who knew about it, because they’ve been following the game for months or years, contributing to the community, preparing, and getting hyped for the release.

They deserved it more than those who only just now heard of it because everyone is doing videos about “Gmod 2”, I’d reckon those are the most likely to just try it out for a bit and then abandon it forever, because of the lack of interest.

7 Likes

I don’t dislike the workshop system BUT I also don’t find it that great since you can be the next one to get a key and one day later you have 200 people before you. I would personally create 2 different queues.
One for developers (they would have to submit previous work and Facepunch would have to approve them) and one for players (It would be a first come, first serve kind of line).
Now, this might have been already thought but for me it seems like the simplest way to decide whenever they want developers or players because after all, they can create gamemodes but without anyone to play them there will be almost no testing.

8 Likes

I would personally create 2 different queue:

One for those who deserve it (they need to go through a lengthy process to verify that they deserve it, and it would be up to Facepunch to approve them, they’ll receive a response in 3 work days)

And one for random people (they just get them instantly for free lol)

4 Likes

I see it as a sort of tap when you decide if you are going to use either cold or hot water… Facepunch decides whether they want more users or more developers and how many of each group will get a key. It’s (in my opinion) an easier system. And maybe they could decide that for a developer to submit their ideas they would need at least 1000 workshop points or something.

1 Like

The system they’re using right now is would be like having it run on warm water, it’s letting in a lot of people and a lot of developers at the same time, not sure if there’s any room to complain.

1 Like

Right now it’s mostly developers who have made content for the workshop but it’s true that some people already got in due to the first system they had, so right now they are good. My idea is a little more long term if they decide not to go open beta so that they can control the flow.

2 Likes

TeeWorld’s idea along with the seperate queue system might actually be a very good replacement, sure there’ll be some people who might try to force their way through the developer queue, and there might be some elitism issues. But this whole system we’re coming up with right now seems FAR more better than the system we have, though as previously mentioned it’s possibly been made too early so there’s bound to be further improvements.

If anyone on here who has access to the discord could let the other key holders along with Garry and his team about this know, then maybe we’ll see that implemented soon enough. Otherwise if yous had then what do they think of it, had they discussed about it?

Also sorry if yous got another notif I had to resend this because I replied to myself accidentally. : P

1 Like

Is it better because more people deserving of it will get in, or because you’ll get in faster?

I’ve yet to see a good reason as to why implement queues for non-developers other than “this will allow me to get in faster”

2 Likes

Why not make two queues; one for developers that may get a key, the others for people who get emailed when s&box is released.

S&box still isn’t ready for players who will run out of things to do within a few hours.

3 Likes

I would think the former, especially if it means easing the amount of drama that’s going on. There will definetaly be some balancing, maintenance, and making sure things are working right. But it’s at least better than having one long queue that doesn’t give to those who actually have experience all the time and makes people fight each over about the queue.

Also I had already said that I don’t mind waiting, I’m nowhere near the level of experience and modding knowledge nor have I got something to show for to actually be given a higher position.

In other words, I have no hope of getting in any time soon. But I’ll still wait, and there’s likely many others out there who’ve been given even crappier spots because of the system so.

1 Like