The men who couldn't blink

Hey can anyone help me? I’m a bit of a pickle right now with some Marines I want to use for Esionage Wars:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/79219170/Asian%20marine%20and%20me.jpg

They’re really awesome but heres the prolem-they cannot close their eyes or even blink. The eys can move but if they are going to use expressions and the like, they need to be able to close their eyes, droop their eyes, and be able to blink.

Anyone who is an expert with ragdolls, can you get them the ability to blink, droop their eyes and close them? Please?
I can PM you the file they belong to as well.

I’ve seen this before,

Don’t worry,I’m a doctor!
Just kidding,I have heard of this but I don’t know how to fix it,wish I could help you. :confused:

I thought you was the l expert around here though.

Those guys can blink by deafault and were refined by the perosn who orginally made them, so when I desaturated them, they were fine.

THESE two however were from Obsidian Conflict and un able to blink for some reason. Their eyes can MOVE but their lids cant do anything. I hoping somone could fix that for me.

just make some blink flexes.

How do you do that?

mess around in the qc and try various frames for the eyballs. I think it only uses the neutral one over all 3 upper lower neutral, even if the the vta has them.

I dont kno what a QC is. What is that?
(I’m new to this whole “game”. All I’ve done is desaturate and change the phy files on grunts. Thats it.)

But I thought you stole someone else’s reskin of these guys?

oh I thought you did headhacks for them which broke the blink flexes

These arent reskins. These guys are headhacks from Obsidian Conflict. I had downloaded them a long time ago. I then decided to desaturate them like the grunt 5 pack and they turned out like this. BUT I had forgotten that they can’t blink.

[editline]11th September 2012[/editline]

I didn’t do them. Theese are from Obsidian Conflict. Someone else headhacked them and I just downloaded them. Whomever did the headhacks must have forgotten to give them flexes or broke them and forgot or didn’t want to fix them.

Are these the same guys from this post?:

They are HECU, but not the exact guys. These two guys are from a separate pack I downloaded. They originally had green harnesses, green backpacks, and etc. I desaturized them so they had gray harneses, gray backpacks, and all men wearing berets have blue berets-just like that pack of 4 you saw from earlier.

All I did was take the new version of the humangrunt’s sheet and pasted it into the second pack’s folder so everyone in there including the black guy and asian guy you see depicted at the top of this thread have new colors.

It seems like everyone knows exactly what your problem is, altough they still tend to mock.
Logic of the human brain, ladies and gentlemen. Help him out instead.

It’s been a really long time since I did this. Altough I believe you have to:

1. get a “.mdl” decompiler. Then you have to decompile every “.mdl” file for the grunts.
Each one of them will be decompiled with a “QC” file.

2. A QC file is more or less a bunch of text wich defines what textures to be used, how the models skeleton can bend and if it has animations or extra bodygroups. There might be something wrong in that file, making the model unable to blink.
There might also be an error on the model itself, not the QF file. I am rusty on this subject, therefor I can’t help you more than this. Hopefully someone can.

3. If you manage to find the error, you’ll have to get something to compile your files back into a “.mdl” file again.
The decompiler I had a long time ago could do both. Was named something like “Cannonfodders mdl decompiler”.

Good luck.

Off phone so can finally respond a bit better.

My guess is, that the original hacker didn’t fix the eyelids post hacking and as such the models in the mod have them static. It’s pretty much the most common decompile|compile problem and has a relatively easy fix.

Admittedly I’ve never tried fixing a model that was compiled broken and then decompiled - the vta might be completely broken, might not, I honestly don’t know.

What you want to do is decompile the models, and recompile them.

In the QC you ought to find these lines, Or something similar to them.

// If you uncomment the following lines the eyes will be closed
     // I'm including it anyway in case anyone wants to experiment
     // eyelid  upper_right "mdldecompiler_expressions.vta" lowerer 4 -1.000000 neutral 4 0.000000 raiser 4 1.000000 split 0.1 eyeball righteye
     // eyelid  lower_right "mdldecompiler_expressions.vta" lowerer 4 -1.000000 neutral 4 0.000000 raiser 4 1.000000  split 0.1 eyeball righteye
     // If you uncomment the following lines the eyes will be closed
     // I'm including it anyway in case anyone wants to experiment
     // eyelid  upper_left "mdldecompiler_expressions.vta" lowerer 4 -1.000000 neutral 4 0.000000 raiser 4 1.000000 split -0.1 eyeball lefteye
     // eyelid  lower_left "mdldecompiler_expressions.vta" lowerer 4 -1.000000 neutral 4 0.000000 raiser 4 1.000000  split -0.1 eyeball lefteye

First remove the comment outs (the //) and then start playing around with the frames.

Here’s a writeup for the fix I did somewhere else

Of course, because these models were already compiling broken, I don’t know if this fix will actually work. It very well might not. In that case, you’ll have to create the blink flexes yourself. Or figure if those heads are actually normal citizen ones with different facemaps.

probably the ones I did (that still have a half complete update)

the eyes don’t close because I never gave them fixed eyelids; as NPCs and players the eyelids seem to work absolutely fine but won’t as ragdolls. I’ll end up compiling the gmod version eventually which DOES have fixed eyelids

Really? Awesome! I can’t wait :slight_smile:

Also, what about the skimask-goggled grunt? (shotgunner from Half lfie)