The Struggle is Real with Rust Experimental Servers

Anyone else get Memory and CPU Leaks?

Reffered to this: http://forum.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1432000

Getting on some dedicated Servers like 100 Requests in some seconds, all over the world , CPU rising up to 20% + , Memory up to 6GB

(Filename: Line: -1)

202.130.196.10:18122 caused an exception when connecting - blocking for 10 minutes

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

NotImplementedException: Unknown wire type: 4
at SilentOrbit.ProtocolBuffers.ProtocolParser.SkipKey (System.IO.Stream stream, SilentOrbit.ProtocolBuffers.Key key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at ProtoBuf.Connect.Deserialize (System.IO.Stream stream, ProtoBuf.Connect instance) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at ProtoBuf.Connect.Deserialize (System.IO.Stream stream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at ServerMgr.NewConnection (Network.Message pack) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
ServerMgr:NewConnection(Message)
Network.Node:Call(Message)
Network.Router:Route(Message)
Network.Server:ReceivedMessage(Message)
Network.Implementation.Lidgren.Server:IncomingConnection(NetIncomingMessage)
Network.Implementation.Lidgren.Server:Cycle()
ServerMgr:Update()

(Filename: Line: -1)

156.67.202.177:47004 cau
sed an exception when connecting - blocking for 10 minutes

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

NotImplementedException: Unknown wire type: 4
at SilentOrbit.ProtocolBuffers.ProtocolParser.SkipKey (System.IO.Stream stream, SilentOrbit.ProtocolBuffers.Key key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at ProtoBuf.Connect.Deserialize (System.IO.Stream stream, ProtoBuf.Connect instance) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at ProtoBuf.Connect.Deserialize (System.IO.Stream stream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at ServerMgr.NewConnection (Network.Message pack) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
ServerMgr:NewConnection(Message)
Network.Node:Call(Message)
Network.Router:Route(Message)
Network.Server:ReceivedMessage(Message)
Network.Implementation.Lidgren.Server:IncomingConnection(NetIncomingMessage)
Network.Implementation.Lidgren.Server:Cycle()
ServerMgr:Update()

[editline]19th October 2014[/editline]

Even Rusty is freezing.

Its insane. The game was fine few days ago.

Yep, first some Hackers forwarded all Servers to their one, now after bugfix they are sending empty messages to make servers unplayable, it laggs like sh**

Reminds me of the DDoS Rust Legacy had between Dezember and January , was also sending messages so servers start to crash.

http://support.facepunchstudios.com/feedback/view/1446-exploit-rising-servers-cpu-to-death

I removed -load from my services and it improves the leak. Still exceeding 1.6-1.7 GB RAM per server, and it used to be around 800-1200 MB per service. However, it seems to be stable around 1.7-1.8 GB RAM, so that would be a temporary kind of fix. Garry just replied via tweet.

As Manipulator said the memory consumption is from using -load in your batch file. There is an issue with the trees and they are spawning way more than they should.

If you remove -load, your server will reset on a restart, is that right?

Just rebooted my Multiplay server and this is still happening.

That is right. It will wipe the server because it is not loading the latest save file.

However, if you do not restart, you will be fine until it gets fixed.

Just tested somewhat:

seed: 2222
with -load variable, rebooted the server 10 times, did not die, no flying trees.

seed: 0
seeed: 1234567

flying trees.

What about memory or cpu leaks?

I will never mind on my previous post. The issue is still there. It will go up and up in RAM + CPU usage. With -load or without it.

Well,

issue is there, coming after 10 - 30 minutes, console is still spaming.

Yeah Console is an obvious issue. Those IP Blocks will always do that until Facepunch fixes the attacks.

But RAM + CPU is what I believe is urgent to fix. Not many hosts will allow this for long.

Maybe this could help:

http://forum.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1432046

(User was banned for this post ("Stop posting this in every help thread" - Blazyd))

I just got an update from my host saying that they have captured some packets from that attack and are currently reverse engineering it. Let’s hope they can find a fix and provide it to the community, would be great.

Will keep you guys posted, as they keep me posted.

It looks like our servers are getting hammered as well. We are waiting on our host to get us some more information. I’ve forwarded them your thread @DoctorMort , hope it helps!

Any news ? My Server was on 13GB after this night.

Give the new update a try

I can confirm that I have updated it twice last night/this morning by doing app_update 258550. Vanilla Servers is now using between 2.5 and 3.0 GB RAM (still higher than average, compared to few days ago when running at 800-1200 MB RAM. CPU load still around 12-15%, used to be around 3-5% with previous builds. I can also confirm that last night with Pluton I had all of those lines of IPs being Blocked spamming the console, and when I removed it, no more spams. (Most likely Modded Servers were targeted). Right now, I upload the latest Pluton, and the game server does not start (most likely requiring an update on their end).

EDIT:

Pluton now works with the last patch (few minutes ago). No server console spams about blocking ips for 10 minutes.

All Facepunch needs to do now is to come up with a fix to the CPU and Memory Leaks. I presume caused by the speed trees in Unity Engine.

Can you get a fix out for those who are paying for servers. Running a vanilla server and memory and CPU use is causing it to restart/shutdown every 20 minutes. Thanks :smiley: