EINS! ZWEI! DREI! HAMMER!
So you, thought you, might like to, go to the show? Pink Floyd’s legendary concert, film and stage show has entertained music fans for over thirty years, and now it arrives on Source for the first time, bigger and better than ever. Introducing…
Decades ago, Pink Floyd were the 1970’s most successful band, having released a multitude of albums worldwide. After the success of their 1974 hit The Dark Side of the Moon, group leader Roger Waters became disillusionned with the unruly crowds at the band’s stage shows, and imagined a wall seperating him and the audience. From this initial idea came The Wall. The double album was released in 1979 to immediate success, and later spawned a hit tour in 1980, an epic partially animated motion picture in 1982, an enormous mega-concert in Berlin in 1990, and Roger Waters’ current stage show today. Our project is the latest adaptaiton of the concept.
You say it’s multimedia, what do you mean?
The project consists of several seperate multimedia parts:
- a map, gm_thewall, consisting of an enormous stadium adapted for a Wall show, with full controls for setpieces and more
- a live GMod concert performance featuring special effects, lighting, pyrotechnics and more, set on the map
- a film, Pink Floyd - The Wall - In GMod, made with a mix of filmed footage from the concert, GMod animation and Source Filmmaker.
Who’s doing it?
Me, along with Drsalvador, DainBramageStudios, and others.
What’s the map got in it?
Set in an enormous stadium in the heart of Los Angeles, gm_thewall is the biggest virtual concert map in Garry’s Mod yet. Some of the many features in this map include…
- The titular 30 foot wall, composed of 70 individual bricks, which can be spawned individually or all at once
- Stage and backstage areas, boasting controls for all of the features mentioned
- Setpieces lovingly recreated from the live performances including a fold-out hotel room, a flying helicopter and a crash-landing Stuka dive bomber
- Hi-fidelity projected images on an enormous circular screen, ranging from the Marching Hammers to Gerald Scarfe’s famous animated characters
- A wide variety of seating, from high up in the stands to down low, inches away from the action
- An exhibit of Pink Floyd history and memorabilia in the lobby, including famous album covers, the artwork of Gerald Scarfe, and a memorial to Syd Barrett
Let’s have a look at it
OK, have some screenshots. (Keep in mind that these are still WIP, and are likely to change.)
The full gallery: http://imgur.com/a/eMqHA#0
Any video footage?
Sure, have a trailer!
When will it all be finished?
No fixed date as of yet, but expect it to be within the next couple of months, maybe even weeks. If not that, then simply “when it’s done”.
What about details for the live show?
All the dates, times and other details will be coming soon, so watch this space!
Anything about the film?
It’s in the planning and preproduction stages, so there isn’t much yet, but let’s just say there may be a few surprises in store.
Incredible! Where else can I find out some more info?
Our YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWallLiveInGMod
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/thewall-liveingmod*
You can also ask me, Drsalvador or DainBramageStudios any questions personally on Steam.
Where can I download the map?
Er, it isn’t out yet.
Don’t worry - when it is, I will post a link here.*
(Disclaimer: This thread is not an advertisement for any servers or anything like that, it’s simply our way to make our project reach out to a wider audience out of our already-existing thread in the Mapping section (which is tailored more towards the map than the overall project), like the gm_construct_13 thread or the GMod 13 trailer thread. If this is in the wrong section, any mods are free to move it to the appropriate place.)*
Well, have fun when the map does come out, and enjoy the film! Feel free to post questions in this thread about the map, concert or movie. Make sure to look out for more news about the project as well!