This whole growing alpha trend..

I hear a lot of “This is alpha talk these days”

Been gaming over 20 years and you know how many real alphas I have gotten into prior to a few years ago? 3…

In the last few years I have gotten into MANY alphas… you know why? Minecraft. They changed the model… Minecraft was not an alpha. They called it one - but it was a product that was pretty playable, and able to be sold as it was. I call that a production ready product that lacked a lot of content.

Alphas of yesterday were not ready to be sold. They were barely playable - The ones I helped out with were horribly bugged and had game breaking issues.

To release something in that state and ask for money was unheard of because the project would fail miserably. You had to get it to closed beta - even then it was messy, but somewhat playable. Once it was in a playable state - you could go open beta. This is where the game is currently stable - ready for a launch and needs polish / community feedback and play time.

Sounds to me like the term “Open Beta” was just converted to “Alpha”.

Why would you do something like that? Well, because - when the game sucks or is broken, you can fall back on the “hey this is simply alpha guys” I feel this is a cop-out and people slang that crap around these forums like its going out of style. The framework is set for Rust, the systems are in place and the updates we have been seeing are not major changes to the game. They are small additions - much like additions you would see in Betas.

There are serious issues with this game that need to get dealt with if it is going to last and simply saying “Oh its just an alpha - move along” is not an answer.

Not to mention - we all bought into it way early and have been playing all this time. Honestly for a lot of people I play with, this game is losing its luster. Same thing is Minecraft - we played so long in “alpha” that when the game was “techincally” complete is was old news - we felt like we were at the end of the lifecycle for the game, and it was just officially launching?

There are some real concerns I have for this game like:
Why is it servers only stay active a week or so? People love the beginning, we all gather and build up and get tech. People start raiding and bases get emptied out and people start leaving servers… crying that they lost all their work.

Bases are all 100% raidable so your loot will be taken at some point. The only defense at this point is a good building knowledge and making a base with so many doors on a single story it’s just not worth raiding. The time and materials it takes to achieve this gimps your own raiding experience… By the time you complete a base like this the server is usually winding down and is going to be wiped soon anyway.

Players are slowly starting to see that bases or borderline pointless, and that storing any kind of loot is a no no.

Currently the best strat is:
Raid day 1… Pickaxe all wooden doors, KOS naked for materials. Build 1x1 or 2x1 store only what you need to for the time being. Keep teching up - move to a new location build another 1x1 / 2x1 wash rinse repeat.

Stay mobile, use small hidden bang shacks and KOS anything that moves and is in range. The Key is to make anything you can with the mats you have so you are not “turtling up” having a base full of gunpowder, guns, ammo and armor that is doing you no good - and it will be taken at some point anyway.

Bad side effects of this play is that if you do this solo or in a group - people will leave and leave early. So it screws the server…

the updates we have been seeing are not major changes to the game. They are small additions - much like additions you would see in Betas.

yea cause changing zombies into dinosaurs, removing weapons, etc etc which are very very likely to happen is NOT big changes? lmaowat? this game might look entierly different in a month or so, please don’t say they are just doing small additions.

There are some real concerns I have for this game like:
Why is it servers only stay active a week or so? People love the beginning, we all gather and build up and get tech. People start raiding and bases get emptied out and people start leaving servers… crying that they lost all their work.

what is this sentence even trying to say? if the concern is that people leave after losing all their stuff, then well yea, find a solution cause people get mad when they lose, duh.
also coming back in a server where your oponent have 40 c4 and all your shit and you have nothing again is impossible, better go play on a newly wiped one

Bases are all 100% raidable so your loot will be taken at some point. The only defense at this point is a good building knowledge and making a base with so many doors on a single story it’s just not worth raiding. The time and materials it takes to achieve this gimps your own raiding experience… By the time you complete a base like this the server is usually winding down and is going to be wiped soon anyway.

how is good building knowledge = good defense. a bad thing? XD shouldn’t it be rewarding to use a bit of intelligence lol. also you can build a small smart base somewhere off. or fake bases. much better than giant ones. ( while gathering wood for your house you’re probably gathering sulfur and metal aswell for your c4, it’s not gimping your raiding experience, it’s just something to do while you farm for c4. ) the only ACTUAL problem atm, is that bases are too easy to defend if there weren’t exploits to raid.
take away the raiding exploits and make the c4 cost to raid less. and you have a better game.

Players are slowly starting to see that bases or borderline pointless, and that storing any kind of loot is a no no.

what? you obviously only play solo and die after building a 1x1 and then say FUCK ALL BUILDING IS POINTLESS PEOPLE HAVE 2 C4’S!

Stay mobile, use small hidden bang shacks and KOS anything that moves and is in range. The Key is to make anything you can with the mats you have so you are not “turtling up” having a base full of gunpowder, guns, ammo and armor that is doing you no good - and it will be taken at some point anyway.

won’t be taken if you build smart, it’s only fair a team of 10 has it easier to gather c4 to get your stuff than you as 2 people have. the more time invested = the greater the reward. stop complaning about getting raided, dear god, l2build

Did you actually play survival minecraft in alpha? LOL. The game had no content at first and most of it didn’t work. Rust is more playable in its current state then Minecraft was in its alpha. By the way the idea of Minecraft being a “survival” game died very quickly after the game got popular and that idea is long dead now.

This was a guys argument a few days ago when I complained that a previously working feature (airdrops) had been broken.

Argument is valid

They can say whatever they want to change, but untill it’s performed it doesn’t count.

They can say they’ll change everything but who knows?

Not really - you would expect even at “alpha”, games being made would have a test bed being built alongside features. As your game grows you can’t possibly hand test each feature and as such, creating one is almost required.

Im saying the Idea of calling any game “alpha” these days is a marketing ploy made popular by minecraft.

This is not an alpha imo… I could have used any example. Dayz or Landmark… terraria… starbound…

They all are filled with people on their forums saying “STFU its ALPHA jesus!!!” I feel like we are playing established beta’s here is all - not alphas.

And no removing items and monsters from a game is a pretty basic and easy change to make programmatically. Balance wise - you might have larger consequences… but not a big change.

Do you guys honestly feel like Rust will feel new on release after we have been playing “alpha” for many many months? Will it then go into beta? When they “officially” launch you think 1 miilion more people will buy?

Pretty much everyone that will buy rust has already done so - and we are playing it now as it is. They made their money and by the time this actually launches numbers will be low.

Lets face it - games like Minecraft are not around still because of the game itself. Its all about mods in there… mods the creator himself says he totally disagrees with.

I mean maybe if Rust allows for crazy mods it will be around as long as something like minecraft but I am not seeing that happen.

With each content patch more people will play the game and more people will find out about the game. Did the Minecraft population decrease during alpha, beta ect as more content was added? lol

sadly i feel rust is a dead end game. it people will come, but in the end it’s one of those games you just grow tired off and stop playing after a certain amount of hours, on average 200 hours or so i’d say. at that moment you experienced everything and there isn’t really much to do. it’s sad but it happens to most players. i’m just hoping patches and big changes will keep this game alive and the ones who left to come back and visit the game again going; holy shit this is new, this is exciting, lets explore it!

preferably if there was modding like in minecraft i think this game would really hit the big numbers and keep an active playerbase.

I can pick your posts apart all day and fight it out with you Uikutoru but the fact of the matter is… I know this game well enough and have built many bases big and small. I have been raided day 1, and a week into it. I’ve learned from builds, researched builds. build in hidden locations - all of it dude. I’ve done all this in large groups of 6 for the most part gaining mats at a fast rate than most on the server. In fact most of the time WE are the ones breaking servers by raiding.

Im sick of putting in work on servers and putting IN more effort than most people and my reward is an empty server because we empty them out.

Server hopping is not a solution IMO.

And yes it will be taken - intelligence has nothing to do with it lol. It’s painfully easy to raid any base out there today. Most of them don’t even protect them properly.

What I am saying is that the most protected bases are easily raided with enough mats. There is no brain power behind that… you’d know what I am saying is correct if you yourself understood the game fully.

**and the most protected bases are easily defended with enough mats. err i can use your own argument against you :stuck_out_tongue:

also, if you want a server that doesn’t empty out, play on one with 60-100+ players on every day. they don’t empty out. even if you oblidirate factions people will join for the share amount of people playing.**

and if people don’t defend them properly, they’re stupid. so intelligence HAS to do with it.

No it didn’t because we were playing Tekkit and heavily modded servers that were not even considering close to vanilla - and later people moved into Feed the beast… mods like those are keeping Minecraft alive, not the vanilla version of the game.

Rust modded servers that shy away from the vanilla game will probably be the ones that last. Just like MC - rust by itself currently doesn’t offer much to a seasoned rust player anymore.

Currently the mods out for rust - are in their infancy. Im sure that will come in time. It’s more difficult to mod Rust when compared to what we had to do to mod MC.

It’s the word Alpha that changed its meaning actually. Nowadays an Alpha is a sort of request of subvention made by the dev to the players. The dev proposes his idea with a draft of a game and the player, by giving his money, will have the possibility to test, propose ideas and guide the development by saying what he likes or not. In other word the player become some kind of investor, he invests money to get a game that he would enjoy when released.
Now this system is not bad actually if and only if the development process is not unjustifiably slowed down and the objectives remain clear (aka good communication).
If not, the investors may become gradually angrier, they may feel robbed, betrayed by the dev.

i agree with everything in this post. mc survives cause of modded servers. vanilla is just way too… little for someone who played tekkit or so.

How? lol I’ve yet to see this. Seeing as how it is currently protected - how would you spend more mats to protect it? Best you could do is replace walls as they get popped IF you could kill the attackers. (rare) Cant replace doors for what 4-5 mins? You gunna barricade doorways? lol

Most raids happen when the owners are gone anyway. Defend that O.o

You show me a US central server with 100 people on and a ping less than 50 and I’ll be in love bro. lol I havent seen one yet.

You honestly play in 100+ ping servers and call gunfights fun?

Agian - I said well protected, it is assumed that a well protected base is ya know… protected (defended)

This. I haven’t played for weeks, I just keep checking the website/forum to see if they’ve added anything. “Updateless Week” has turned into Updateless Month. But I am hopeful that realistically that means one has to be upon us soon.

To people who still play this game, what do you do exactly? After triple digit hours what are you doing to maintain interest?

Of course you will grow tired of a game you put 200 hours into it. Same with Minecraft. People pour hours and hours into this game. I will gladly take a bug ridden “alpha” for 20 dollars that I can get 200 hours of gameplay out of before I become bored and tired of it. People are so whiny it amazes me.

What people don’t really think about is those same people will go and buy a single player only A title on console or PC for $60 that at best is 12 hours of game play. Enjoy the game where it is and hopefully it will be 1000 hours of gameplay. But be thankful a 20 dollar game has provided the amount of entertainment that it has.

First off, i totaly agree with this dude here.
Second: Calling this game a open beta is just plain stupid. Open beta is when your game is almost done. The only think available here is the Unity engine with some minor changes to thats no way near beta.
That you have played alpha’s that were alot more broken is because they usualy build there own engine or atleast a heavy modified one. At that point you will run into game breaking bugs, like broken airdrop huh, and thats just a small one.
So get your facts straight son.

Exactly this. With 100 hours on Rust I have had as much fun as you can have while sitting at a computer (with both hands above the desk) for the price of 20c per hour. Can’t complain about that.