Thruster and Hydraulic Engines - Wiremod

So, I’m sure a lot of you have seen the engines that people have made and used for the past few years using Wire Thrusters on sliders, roped to a crankshaft - and, less commonly, Wire Hydraulics linking from the engine case to the crankshaft - both wired up with an E2 flywheel. Most of these videos have featured engines making it to an easy thousand RPM or more, or have been otherwise extremely powerful, even when thrown together in a grand total of five minutes.

Meanwhile, I follow the tutorials, and find that my engines are horrendously underpowered regardless of what weights and thruster/hydraulic settings I use. I’ve made a couple engines that stay stable at the maximum of 545 RPM without a load, but most of them end up fluctuating between 60 and 545 extremely rapidly (perhaps the fluctuation happens at the instant that one piston stops firing and another starts?)

The only thing that comes to mind immediately is that, perhaps, I’m not getting absolutely perfect positioning on the crankshaft when linking up the “pistons” - corners on square crankshafts have minute differences between the smartsnap points - not much, but it’s there. Cylinders might have a similar issue related to view angle vs. the angle of the polys on the model. But that doesn’t seem like it would account for nearly as much as it has been.

My vehicles utilize Ballsocket Center rotation constraints - Rear wheels to BRD device, BRD device to Engine - and everything that isn’t supposed to move is welded, axis’d on a different plane than expected movement, and ball socketed to the base prop/plate, to kill any and all unwanted movement (or at least close to it - on the engine cases, I sometimes rope each corner to the base prop too). Any time I rev my engine up, it causes a problem, though - the sheer quantity of torque and instability makes driving the vehicle on a smooth road feel more like driving on an ocean of bowling balls, in that the engine’s torque rotates the vehicle along the crankshaft’s axis, while not being consistent enough to drive the vehicle at more than 10-16 miles per hour (regardless of wheel diameter or vehicle size and weight - the same result comes from a 900kg ATV vs a 7200kg hotrod)

Any tips and tricks for engine stability, or any working and stable engine dupes that I could study?

I haven’t had a whole lot of success either, but my engines have gotten very stable with a fluctuation of about 10 rpm on a bad setting.
I found spider’s tutorial very helpful.

I’m not sure if it makes a difference, but building with the engine facing north/south (crank rotating east/west) that the engine is more stable. sprops may also help because they have props that you can use for variable size crankshafts as small as 3(?) gmod units in diameter.