Tips and help for a newbie

Hi everyone,
So I’ve been here for a long time watching and never posting, and now I’ve decided to.
As the title says, I would like to start learning modelling, since my needs for specific models -also maps, but I’d like to learn this first- in SFM have been increasing.
I know some software like 3DS Max and Blend, but I don’t know how to use it, so I thought that you might help me with some links and references to PDFs and tutorials.

I’m not here for “do-my-work-for-me” things. I want to learn, and as I know that there are many experienced users in here, maybe you could help me telling me essential tools and references for starting.

Also, I’m currently studying a computer engineering degree, so I don’t mind if I have to deal with code at some point.

So, I don’t know it this is the right forum to post this, but I hope you can help me starting with this, and maybe some day I could be useful :slight_smile:

One last thing… Sorry for my English. Still learning. :stuck_out_tongue:

Greetings.

I’ve just started a video series on 3D modeling with 3DS Max:

Stay tuned and I will eventually cover what you need to know to become a great modeler. In time I may teach other programs as well.

Autodesk has a free student license for 3DS Max on their website.

I learnt from www.digitaltutors.com/ while I had a student account, that said there are a lot of free alternatives and videos on youtube people have made going through many aspects of 3D modeling etc.

For example I’ve used this channel in the past for info on rigging

All the best

Thank you so much for the feedback, I’ll start with those sites.
Also, which software and extensions would you suggest for exporting to other platforms? (i.e. from Blender to 3DS Max or Maya, or 3DS Max to SFM)
I know I might sound stupid with these questions but I really have no idea so any answer is appreciated.

Greetings :slight_smile:

FBX which is autodesk’s standard format for exchanging content between its products is a good option.

If you are going to deal with the Source Engine you will need to work with the SMD (ASCII) format or DMX which is the successor to SMD it really depends on what your working with.

For blender plugins you can get them here:

This includes (DMX/SMD/VTA)

3DS Max

For Maya the SourceFilmMaker has the plugins that you need inside the sdktools folder.

Alright, thank you so much for the help. I’m starting with it right now, hope I can be an useful member of this really nice community soon.
Thanks again.
Greetings :slight_smile: