Too many unique texture mappings?

I’m trying to compile my map, it goes on but then just stops at this:

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jul  7 2010)
8 threads
materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\disseminate\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\materials
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\sourcemods\garrysmod\maps\rp_sedition.vmf
ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
Could not locate 'GameData' key in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\disseminate\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\gameinfo.txt
Patching WVT material: maps/rp_sedition/pk02/pk02_rock01_ground01_blend_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (1)
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...
Merged 556 detail faces...done (0)
Merging details...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (2)
writing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\sourcemods\garrysmod\maps\rp_sedition.prt...Building visibility clusters...
done (0)
Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
   skybox/sky_day01_09*.vmt
 ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
   skybox/sky_day01_09*.vmt
 ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10

Sometimes I get this added in too:

Too many unique texture mappings, max = 2048

Anyone know what this means? It would be great help as I can’t find it anywhere on the internet.

From the information I’ve found, it seems to mean there are too many textured faces in the level with unique texture scales and texture offsets. This can possibly be caused by having texture lock enabled and dragging around large portions of the level. It could also mean that you just have too many unique texture scales and offsets too.

Try selecting the entire map and change the texture scale on everything to 1.00x1.00 and the offsets to 0,0 and see if it compiles.

If that is so, MAX=2048 seems so little…

By the way, couldnt it be related to texture shaders? Bumpmaps, animated textures, scrolling textures, reflecting textures etc.

I’m using a fully custom texture pack for the entire map, if that matters to anyone.

A level made entirely out of, or mostly made of custom textures wouldn’t cause a problem; If that were the case then all of those 3rd party source mods wouldn’t work. If my first theory is out, then maybe you’re using too many unique textures in the map. You could try setting everything to one texture and see if it compiles without errors.

I’d imagine lightmaps and cubemaps add to unique textures.

Lightmaps aren’t textures, they’re lumen values for a set of 2d coordinates. Cubemaps may or may not count towards a texture limit, there is a hard limit on cubemaps though.

cubemaps get added to the bsp in the form of vtfs (i think) and i am pretty sure they’d count towards the number of textures; try removing a few cubemaps if you have a lot

Seeing that cubemaps are a 6-face texture, do you think they count as 1 or 6 textures? They’re all contained in a single VTF, but I’m not sure how that goes in memory allocation.