Tool system (inventory)

Hi Garry! I propose to make the inventory in the sandbox mode more convenient, as well as practical, which, together with all the best, will add coolness to the future game. Namely - the multiplicity of the tool, which will give you the opportunity not to have one tool in your inventory, the setting of which (welding, etc.) you change. Below will be attached a screenshot, I can’t fully explain the whole point, because I don’t know English well.

This thing will make construction much faster than you do not have to change the property of your tool every time, but use different ones right away.

1 Like
1 Like

Probably can be done as an addon.
Personally, I wouldn’t want to have a bunch of different toolguns tho, I’m okay with how it works in gmod.

2 Likes

You can use this thing as usual, as in Garry’s Mod, simply by clicking on the tool, rather than dragging it. Or simply by dragging one tool onto another (which was also shown in the video)!

I say, “This is the best idea.”

People who are used to spending their time on each opening of the SpawnMenu to change tools can continue to do so, others can be better and more advanced.

1 Like

Just have tool presets you can save and load, while rememberijng the last settings used between each tool like you’d expect, and allow dragging to the quick slot hotkey bar thing if the user wants multiple different quick tools - to keep things nice and simple. Maybe even allow different presets of the same tool on different hotkey bar slots to swap between presets immediately.

3 Likes

Awesome part about s&box’s ui system is that you can probably start prototyping the design in css already and it’ll be super easy to port it. I can see plenty of possible inventory designs, I’m a fan of radial menus myself.

You could also make different options for the hot bar that people could choose in game. That’ll be cool.

1 Like

I really like the idea of being able to just drag the tool from the tool menu into the hotbar to just change instantly

Really optimizes the building / posing procedure. I only ever find myself using a couple of tools at a time

2 Likes

Some kind of single tool in hotbar with ability to scroll or type a name for a tool into it would be the most logical approach for me:)

Think like gmod’s toolgun, but way faster to switch tools :slight_smile:

1 Like

Along the way, my idea comes true. It is not yet clear whether it is one hundred percent or not, but there is progress.

Untitled

1 Like

I’d guess that they will merge the welder with the PhysGun later on

1 Like

You mean they’ll make the toolgun right? I don’t see why they would add a weld function to the physgun.

1 Like

Yeah

1 Like