Transparent (Glass) Material Question

Hello! For some time now I have been porting models into Garry’s Mod. I have recently hit a snag, I don’t know how to create a transparent material. I ported over this lightbar but I can’t figure out how to create the glass like texture for parts of it. Any help?

Doesn’t this actually belong to the modelling section? Since texturing of a model does belong there afaik, anyways @OP you could look on TopHattWaffle’s youtube, he somewhere got such an material tutorial if I am right.

@whitestar Alright thanks and it probably does… I quickly posted this and I didn’t fully pay attention to where I put it.

[editline]30th January 2016[/editline]

Alright so, i went through a few of those videos real quick but it didn’t tell me anything I didn’t already know. I know how to create custom textures, but when I create a transparent texture it never really works. I assumed you had to input some type of code or something in the .vmt

Did you apply the right filters in VTFEdit or w/e its called?(On the left side, you can tick some boxes), You’ve to tick exact the same ones as he did.

You have to use $translucent or $alphatest to make it transparent (but you need to define what parts are transparent by making the texture transparent in Photoshop or whatever, then just export them as a TGA and the transparency usually gets saved), and if you want a glass-kind of reflection-effect (which you do), try using $envmap (and set a $envmapmask if you want it to be shiny in only certain areas, and maybe a$envmaptint as well if you want the reflection to be a certain color)

(Those links might help you)

It doesn’t have anything to do with VTFEdit’s parameters, you barely ever need to change those, all that stuff is for the VMT

Also, not sure how to make an ENTIRE texture a bit transparent without having to Photoshop in some transparent bits, pretty sure it’s $additive though, but there’s probably a way with more parameters to change…

[editline]31st January 2016[/editline]

Also, don’t forget to change the $surfaceprop to glass!

[editline]31st January 2016[/editline]

Also, if you can’t get the model to look like what you want, then you could look at some other glass .VMTs in GMod by using GCFScape to open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\garrysmod_dir.vpk, because that file has pretty much all the stuff used in GMod in it, such as the materials