Trouble opening console

Oftentimes, when playing Gmod, I go to open up the console and the ~ key just won’t do anything. The console is enabled in the options, but sometimes it just won’t open. It only changes (being able to open or not) every few minutes or so. I don’t know what causes it to change; it’s seemingly random. Some people on another forum (http://sigma-gaming.com/index.php/topic,19.0.html) told me the best way is reinstalling all of my source games, but I’m sure there’s a better way. Come to think of it, I don’t think many people really like me on that forum or the server it’s associated with (I used to be a minge on there, but now they only think of me as one) and they may just be messing with me, trying to cause me inconvenience. Does anyone have any suggestions?

They are either very misinformed, or they are messing with you.

Do this:

1 - Open the Steam games list.
2 - Right click on Garrysmod.
3 - Choose “Properties.”
4 - Choose “Set launch options…”
5 - Type this: -console

The console will always be enabled now.

`

I’m fairly sure that there’s a “Toggle Developer Console” keybind listing in the options. Make sure that it’s set to the grave key (upper-left hand corner, between Escape & Tab). Also, go to \Steam\steamapps\USERNAME\garrysmod\garrysmod\cfg and append the following line to config.cfg: (It might be a mess, so just go to the next line.)

Bind ` “toggleconsole”

Another method: Go to options > Keyboard > Advanced and tick developer console, then hit OK, thne apply and another OK

He did that.

Sorry for the late response. My settings aren’t any different whether the console is working or not; I checked. And that -console thing didn’t fix the problem. It just made the console load on startup. Thanks anyway! If you have any more ideas, feel free to post!

Well, if it loads on start up, what is the problem?

Now you have your console!

I don’t think you get what the problem is, Paul. Often I have no problem getting the console to appear. However sometimes, when playing a game, I press the ~ key and nothing happens. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It seems to be at random.

Well, i have to press “Alt Gr” + “¨” to get “~”, so i have no idea what the problem might be as I’ve never managed to get the console open by pressing a button myself.
(Actually, I’ve even tried changing the key to open the console, it still didn’t work.)

Therefore, i figured out that using “-console” was the best way.