Trying to create a dedicated server...

Solved. Scroll down to post #10

Hello.

Have you attempted to update Garry’s Mod via SteamCMD.

The commands are.

Garry’s Mod Update: +app_update 4020

Yeah, it’s already up to date.

Seems like you have an outdated version of Garry’s Mod. What is the path to your installation?

Yeah i thought so to untill i uninstalled gmod. I could join other servers before i uninstalled and after the new installation, but not my own server.

Installation path is the default one, c:\

Are you sure your installation was with +app_update 4020 and not another number?

Sorry for the delay.

Well, i have done the app_update 4020 command like 20 times, i am pretty sure. It says it’s already up to date. If i picked a wrong game ID it would give me an error or start downloading another game, wouldnt it? Anywho, i’m pretty sure i have been usiong 4020.

EDIT: It looks like I am the one with the outdated version of the game, and the server is a newer version, however i get a massive list of servers on the server list ingame on garry’smod and i can join them “all”, but when i connect to my server it say:
*The server you are trying to connect to is running
a newer version of the game.

Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token ILLEGAL*

Really confused about this one.

EDIT2: What does "*

```html
 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token ILLEGAL*" Mean? i have never seend this message before. I can't seem to find any answers on google either.

EDIT3: To remove any confusion on how i installed the server, i followed this guide: http://wiki.garrysmod.com/page/Hosting_A_Dedicated_Server

I understand what is wrong now. Silly my for not trying this earlier. I had to close my CSS server and now my gmod server works. However, i want to run both at the same time. How is this possible? How can i assign one server to 27015 and maybe one to 27016?

Thanks

[editline]22nd May 2014[/editline]

Problem solved. Thanks.

With the -port 27016 startup parameter.

Reactivating this post.

I am using a DNS service (noip.com) for my CSS server and i would like to do this on my gmod server as well. On my css server i can connect through console with the host name provided by noip.com (name.servebeer.com) and i don’t have this string attached in my srcds bat file. However, when i start a gmod server it works fine and i can connect to it with my public IP, but when i try to connect to that server through console “connect name.servebeer.com” after adding “+ip name.servebeer.com” in my srcds bat file, the srcds gives me an error “Couldn’t allocate any server IP port”. If i manually connect through ingame console “connect name.servebeer.com”, it gives me the same “error” i stated in the top of this post:
*The server you are trying to connect to is running
a newer version of the game.

Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token ILLEGAL*

This is the startup string i use in my CSS srcds bat file: -console -game cstrike +map de_dust2 +maxplayers 32 -tickrate 66 -port 27015 and i can connect to the server through the ingame console with the dns host name "connect name.servebeer.com"

This is the startup string i use in my Gmod srcds bat file: -console -game garrysmod +map gm_construct +maxplayers 32  +ip name.servebeer.com - this gives me the error: "Couldn't allocate any server IP port", but i can connect with my public IP.

My question is, how do i connect to my gmod server with the host name: "connect name.servebeer.com" like i do with my CSS server?

Are there other strings i am missing out on when it comes to dns host names like noip.com?

Using the domain name on its own I assume will default to the default Source engine port, because you’re using a different one for Garry’s mod you would have to do connect name.servebeer.com:27016

You can register at http://freedns.afraid.org and setup a SRV DNS record for all your servers.

Yes ofcourse, makes sense. Thanks.

I will check that out. Thanks