[TUTORIAL] How to Setup Garry'sMod13 for Mapping (The Easy Way)

Hello guys, I’ve had a couple of buddies on steam ask me how to get Hammer working for Garry’sMod13, and I’ve come to tell you the super easy way to do it!

1. Download Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer
  2. Open up GameConfig.txt in:
  1. Replace everything in there with this:

"Configs"
{
	"Games"
	{
		"Half-Life 2"
		{
			"GameDir"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\hl2"
			"Hammer"
			{
				"GameData0"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\bin\halflife2.fgd"
				"TextureFormat"		"5"
				"MapFormat"		"4"
				"DefaultTextureScale"		"0.250000"
				"DefaultLightmapScale"		"16"
				"GameExe"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\hl2.exe"
				"DefaultSolidEntity"		"func_detail"
				"DefaultPointEntity"		"info_player_start"
				"BSP"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\bin\vbsp.exe"
				"Vis"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\bin\vvis.exe"
				"Light"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\bin\vrad.exe"
				"GameExeDir"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer"
				"MapDir"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc"
				"BSPDir"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\hl2\maps"
				"CordonTexture"		"tools	oolsskybox"
				"MaterialExcludeCount"		"0"
			}
		}
		"GarrysMod"
		{
			"GameDir"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod"
			"Hammer"
			{
				"GameData0"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\garrysmod.fgd"
				"GameData1"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\bin\base.fgd"
				"GameData2"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\bin\halflife2.fgd"
				"TextureFormat"		"5"
				"MapFormat"		"4"
				"GameExe"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\hl2.exe"
				"BSP"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\bin\vbsp.exe"
				"Vis"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\bin\vvis.exe"
				"Light"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\bin\vrad.exe"
				"GameExeDir"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod"
				"MapDir"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\maps"
				"BSPDir"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\maps"
			}
		}
		"Half-Life 2: Episode One"
		{
			"GameDir"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\episodic"
			"Hammer"
			{
				"GameData0"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\bin\halflife2.fgd"
				"GameData1"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\garrysmod.fgd
			}
		}
		"
				"TextureFormat"		"5"
				"MapFormat"		"4"
				"GameExe"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\hl2.exe"
				"GameExeDir"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer"
				"MapDir"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\sourcesdk_content\episodic\mapsrc"
				"BSPDir"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\episodic\maps"
			}
		}
		"Half-Life 2: Episode Two"
		{
			"GameDir"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\ep2"
			"Hammer"
			{
				"TextureFormat"		"5"
				"MapFormat"		"4"
				"MapDir"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\sourcesdk_content\ep2\mapsrc"
				"BSPDir"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\ep2\maps"
			}
		}
		"SourceTest"
		{
			"GameDir"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\sourcetest"
			"Hammer"
			{
				"TextureFormat"		"5"
				"MapFormat"		"4"
				"MapDir"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\sourcesdk_content\sourcetest\mapsrc"
				"BSPDir"		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\sourcetest\maps"
			}
		}
	}
	"SDKVersion"		"5"
}

1. Run Hammer.exe in:
  1. Map away!

You can make a shortcut to the Hammer program and place it and place it anywhere you’d like!

I know, there are countless tutorials on how to set things up, but I think this is an easier way, as all you have to do really is [Copy+Paste].

Enjoy!

------------------------------------ IF YOU GET AN ERROR WHEN OPENING HAMMER FOR GARRYSMOD ---------------------------------------------------

1. Open gameinfo.txt in:
  1. Replace everything in there with this:

"GameInfo"
{
game	"Garry's Mod"
title	""
title2	""
type multiplayer_only

"developer" "TEAM GARRY"
"developer_url" "http://www.garrysmod.com/"
"manual" "http://wiki.garrysmod.com/"

FileSystem
{
SteamAppId	 4000 // 218
ToolsAppId	 211

SearchPaths
{
// First, mount all user customizations. This will search for VPKs and subfolders
// and mount them in alphabetical order. The easiest way to distribute a mod is to
// pack up the custom content into a VPK. To "install" a mod, just drop it in this
// folder.
//
// Note that this folder is scanned only when the game is booted.
game+mod	 garrysmod/custom/*

// Now search loose files. We'll set the directory containing the gameinfo.txt file
// as the first "mod" search path (after any user customizations). This is also the one
// that's used when writing to the "mod" path.
game+mod+mod_write+default_write_path	 |gameinfo_path|.
gamebin	 |gameinfo_path|bin

// We search VPK files before ordinary folders, because most files will be found in
// VPK and we can avoid making thousands of file system calls to attempt to open files
// in folders where they don't exist. (Searching a VPK is much faster than making an operating
// system call.)
game+mod	 garrysmod/garrysmod.vpk
game+mod	 garrysmod/fallbacks.vpk
game	 |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_english.vpk
game	 |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_pak.vpk
game	 |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_textures.vpk
game	 |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_sound_vo_english.vpk
game	 |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_sound_misc.vpk
game	 |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_misc.vpk
platform	 |all_source_engine_paths|platform/platform_misc.vpk

// Add the HL2 directory as a game search path. This is also where where writes
// to the "game" path go.
game+game_write	 hl2

// Where the game's binaries are
gamebin	 garrysmod/bin

// Last, mount in shared HL2 loose files
game	 |all_source_engine_paths|hl2mp
game	 |all_source_engine_paths|hl2
platform	 |all_source_engine_paths|platform

// Last, do the actual gmod default gameinfo.
game	 hl2
game |all_source_engine_paths|hl2
}
}
}

What this does is when Hammer loads garrysmod, it also loads the .vpk’s.

I can’t find gameconfig.txt D: help.

Not to be rude or snarky, but I currently use Hammer with the Counter Strike Config and am able to make Gmod maps fine.

Is there anything that will be made easier by followng your tutorial?

CSS, TF2, and HL2 hammers work fine with GMod.

Honest question - if you use the HL2 hammer will it mount CSS content (automatically?) ?
I used Source Multi Tool to get setup for mapping.

No, you’ll have to add it manually. Someone made a tutorial a while ago about how to do it in the mapping section.

Just drag and drop materials/models into the folder of the game you’re using.

You will be able to use the custom content you’ve acquired over the time in Garry’s Mod(models/materials downloaded from servers) but not workshop content.

Aside from testing your level inside GMod, there isn’t much of an advantage, it’s just that you won’t have to use pakrat or copy over your custom content.
The same way anyone could just symlink the folders themselves and save the trouble of having duplicate files on their hard drive

I found it useful for me, because you don’t have to get your other configurations confused with garrysmod, if you want certian game content, just add a .fgd in the options.

@Derppower - Did you download Source SDK Singleplayer 2013?

Also, another advantage, besides being more neat to decide between what you’re mapping for, it gives you access to some of the entities that come with garrysmod (for hammer) I mean, you could just mount the .fgd, but I find this method easier for NEWBIES, (even though it makes everything easier too, for more advanced people).

You have to use 2013 singleplayer? not multiplayer?

awesome

You have to use Singleplayer 2013.

That’s how the paths are setup. (The configuration file I’ve given.)

Paths aside, it doesn’t really matter if you used Multiplayer or Singleplayer assets, but as I said, that’s how the paths for the tutorial are setup.

It mounts garrysmod and it’s content. (You can mount other games and directories easily aswell by modifying the garrysmod gameinfo.)

Which makes a seamless transition between hammer content and ingame testing.

Thanks for this!

Makes everything easier. :slight_smile:

Or you could just go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\bin and launch Hammer.exe from there. No extra actions required.

My Hammer viewports are all black in the Gmod directory… I dont even bother and just use CS:S’s hammer

Last I checked, it was broken-- and without an option for mounting Garrysmod.

Ditto ^

I can’t even launch mine because it bitches about gameinfo or something like that.

Yeah and I fixed it by putting the gameinfo.txt in the directory it mentioned. Then I discovered black viewports

VBCT configuration for all those clueless (SDKPaths.pro):

SDKPath
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\source sdk base 2013 singleplayer\bin
GamePath
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod
ProjectPath
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod
EngineType
garrysmod
GameType
Garrysmod
MapFile
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Garrysmod\Mapping\placeholder.vmf